porscheguru
porscheguru, Technician
Experience:  Highline automotive technician

Maserati Quattroporte: I have a 2007 Maserati Quattroporte

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Maserati Quattroporte that I imported into Canada. In order to make it
conform to Canadian standards I have to have it so that the headlights are on all the time.
That means that it has to be hardwired so that when the headlight swith is in the off position
the headlights remain on when the key is in the on position. I have the access door to
the fuse panel off just to the left of the steering column. The wire that goes to the healight
switch has another wire with 2 connectors attached to it which looks like they could be the
alternate connection for what I a am trying to do. I cannot get the original connectors
off of the headlight switch as I don't know the trick to it and I don't want to force it.
Am I on the right track and what is the trick to getting the connectors of off the back of the
headlight swicth?
Category: Car
Expert:  porscheguru replied 1 year ago.

porscheguru : Can you try something easier but we need to check which fuse to do this trick to. With the Porsches that go to Canada, we have a simple fuse jumping technique that is so easy to do but I need you to check some fuses for me. I will wait for you to renter the chat and then I will show you how we do this to the Porsches so you understand the technique I am describing.
porscheguru : Re enter chat. Typo
porscheguru : I believe there is a bug in the chat currently. I am switching to Q&A to ensure we can communicate.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am here now . What fuse do I need to look for?
I have to review the fuse chart and I will reply soon.
My fuse chart is 2008. Of so fuse f12 is for the right low beam and should be connected to the left. Let me figure out which fuse we will jump to activate out drls.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see any new answer

Can you verify you have a test light and or multi meter? I am including the left fuse box info that I have and can youplease verify if this is the same set up you have so we are on the same page.

Attachment: 2012-11-02_182241_left_fuse_box.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have a test light and a multi meter. I printed out the fuse box pages and it is the correct one.

OK, back at my PC. So sorry for the delay but my handheld does not have all of my info and it is some slow to communicate.

Can you obtain so fuse taps so this can be permanent?

Radio shack sells them as most parts stores.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102780

Now, let's make 100% sure we do not hook it up wrong so with the key in the "on" position verify that we have power at fuse F12 in the left fuse box with the light switch (low beam) on and no power when we turn the headlight switch off. Even with the key on we should have no power with the headlight switch off.

Also make sure the same condition is for fuse F13.

Then we have to find a switched ignition for the DRL tap.

Are we good so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is correct there is power at the fuse with the key on

and the headlight switch on.

And NO power with the key on and the headlights off correct? But I will proceed as I am quite sure this is correct.

If you do not have any wire taps right now you can get them later but just "wrap" the stripped end of a piece of wire around the base of the fuse blade for now.

(But when you get the fuse taps you can use female spade terminals to connect to the male ends on the wire taps.)

18 gauge wire should be good but 16 gauge is good also and is thicker.

NOW, I am looking at the fuse chart and I want to see if fuse F40 has power with the key on only. So please test that. if it does not, use your test light and tell me which fuses have power with only the key on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
F44 has power with the ignition in the on position but not F40

That is very interesting as this is a better situation for the technique we are going to use. That is the power socket and lighter fuse so those must be switched ignition.

Jump a wire with the method we previously discussed and this should be a good technique for the DRL's. Get back to me with the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I made this jumper and it works!

Thanks

graphic

Is there anything else I can help you with?

If not, can you please rate my assistance in a positive manner as this is the only way I will receive credit, thanks and thanks for letting me help you. Feel free to contact me for anything as I have an alert on my phone if somebody needs me. Kind of like Superman! :-) is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The radio/nav system doesn't work now. I had disconnected the power at one point.
When you say does not work, does it not power on at all? Have you checked the fuse for that circuit? How did you disconnect the power? Through the fuse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unpluged the big plug with the heavy wires at the bottom left of the panel. I will check the associated fuse, I think it is #49
Is the radio blank or is our asking for a code?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, just blank.
Remove the jumper and unplug and reconnect that big plug. Also did you check the fuse for the radio?
I know it's Friday night but I want you to know I am on standby for you.so as soon as you find something or not something can you contact me?
We're you able to get the NAV system back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the fuse, it's OK. The unit will take the Nav disk and spit it back out when I push the button but I can't get the screen to come on. None of the other buttons are repsponsive.

I did a little research and I want you to hold the on/off button for more than 15 seconds. We are trying to reboot this. If that does not work, you will try to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect. You will need your radio code. it seems to be a common problem with these that a full reboot will be required and that is done by the dealer. That will be our last resort.

Look at this thread on a maerati forum:

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/quattroporte/14383-2006-qp-battery-drained.html

How are the DRL's working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Holding the button for 15 seconds did it, now I need the radio code.

What are DRL's?

Thanks

Charles

The Daytime Running Lights we hooked up. The code will be in your portfolio or the dealer will have to provide it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The lights are working fine.

The dealer is sending me new books as the original ones were missing. I have e-mailed him asking for the radio code.

Thanks

OK, that is awesome.i am glad everything worked out.

Do you have any more questions or concerns that I can answer for you?

I hope I have provided you with assistance that you can rate good or higher and I thank you for allowing me to provide you with this service.

Please ask for me in the future and I will promptly assist you with whatever your needs will require.

porscheguru, Technician
Experience: Highline automotive technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for everything

C.waggett

Vancouver

Canada

You are welcome and I am available for request at anytime. i have an alert on my phone if you request my services.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Thanks