Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Ford Ranger: I have a 2000 Ford Ranger I was having some issues

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger I was having some issues with windows, wipers, and cabin lights not working and I took it to a local shop. They poked around tore my truck apart and somehow got the windows working and nothing else. I took it upon myself and traced the problem back to my GEM module. Now my wipers, windows, and lights all work. I can't help but feel the shop messed somethign up somehow.

Now the problem I am having is I hook the battery back up and my cabin lights work only with the ignition in the off poition as it should be. As soon as I turn the ignition into ACC or start the engine then turn the key back to the off position however my radio, windows, and wipers all stay on. I'm not sure if it could be the ignition or my truck also has the option where I can still roll the windows up/down until I open the door.
Hello and thank you for asking your question on justanswer.

Don't Forget, the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service, and not this website itself or your vehicle.

Does opening a door with the key OFF shut down the radio, windows, and wiper?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no it doesnt they stay on regardless

Have you tried both doors?

Do both doors turn on the dome light?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

both doirs turb on the done light but neither turns the radio etc. off

Was the GEM module a new part?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The GDM turns on/off the accessory delay relay. It is this relay that supplies power for these circuits. Since the doors turn the dome lights on, we know that the door switches are working. This leaves the accessory delay relay or the GDM as being the faulty part. You can try swapping out the accessory delay relay to see if this makes a difference. If it does not then the GDM is faulty and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

where would tge accessory delay relay be located?

The accessory delay relay is under the passenger side of the dash. Picture below shows back side view of dash components.