Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

Suzuki: 2007 Grand Vitara 2.7 It appears that there is engine

2007 Grand Vitara 2.7 It appears that there is engine oil coming into cooling system.
All my hoses have swelled and one burst. There is 88,000 klms on this vehicle.Any ideas what might be the problem.

Thank you in advance

Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
Hi there!
Is the coolant in the engine oil also?
If you pull the dipstick is the engine oil level high and does it look like chocolate milk?
One final question, is it auto or manual transmission?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Engine oil clean

Automatic transmission

The oil in coolant is not pink in colour

Ok, if there is actual oil getting into the coolant, it is not engine oil if it is clean. If it is mixing one way, then it would also mix in the engine.
This leaves us the transmission. The transmission cooler is part of the radiator,so it is possible for the transmission fluid to mix with the coolant. You can do the same with the transmission. Check the fluid level and if it's over full then you know you have a mixing problem.
If that looks clean as well, then I would suspect a possible head gasket issue. This can allow exhaust gases into the cooling system and very high pressure. This would blow a hose and can leave a oily residue in the cooling system You may even be able to smell it. Sort of an acidy stink on the radiator cap.

If you have no additional questions please remember to rate my service before exiting the site so I can be credited for my time.
When you are satisfied with the information I’ve provided, I would appreciate your positive rating. I truly value your feedback
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The cooling system was flushed out and as the engine was running you can see drops of oil appearing.They are a coffee colour.This is more than residue.

Is the transmission over filled? and where are you seeing the drops?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Transmission level has not changed

We had a funnel on the filler spout filled with clean water.

As the engine ran it would burp up oil into it.

Well, whatever you are seeing can't be oil. If it was mixing oil through the head gasket, the coolant would be getting into the crank case.
If it was mixing transmission fluid into the coolant, then the coolant would also be mixing with the transmission fluid.
The only thing I can see that would do this is exhaust getting into the cooling system.
YOu can get a combustion test kit and use it to check for exhaust gases.