Repair1014U
Repair1014U, Shop Owner
Experience:  Diagnostics, Electrical
60340645

land rover freelander: hi i have a 1998 land rover freelander

Customer Question

hi i have a 1998 land rover freelander 20 di and i have a problem with loss of power , rough idling and revs up to 2500 rpm by it self when on idling could you please help out to find the fault .thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Repair1014U replied 2 years ago.
You need to double check the mas air flow sensor. Start the vehicle then unplug the mass air flow sensor. if the vehicle runs worse or dies then the mass air flow sensor is working. If you unplug it and there is no change in the idle then the mass air flow sensor is bad.

Check the battery, test it and test under a load test, check the post terminals and cables. If their is a bad connection with the battery cables or ground it will make the vehicle run rough.

If the MAFS is ok then you need to perform a vacuum test to see if you might have a leak in a hose or the intake gasket is leaking.

Need to check the throttle position sensor, check crank sensor, but if it is these their is usually a code.

Check to see if you have a strong spark and inspect the spark plugs, if dirty clean them up with a wire brush or replace them.

If that is ok you need to check the fuel pressure is correct.

If that is ok you need to remove the timing cover and check the timing marks to see if the tensioner is bad or it is off a tooth or two.

If the fuel pressure is ok do a compression test on each cylinder.

Keep in mind a vehicle only needs 3 things to run, Air, Spark and Fuel. If you can narrow down to which one is the problem this will help you out to find the problem.

Please let me know if you need more help.

Thank you