carguyjosh
carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. in professional shop,,ASE auto technician,service on all makes and models
12326834

My 2006 sorento just had a crankshaft position sensor replaced

My 2006 sorento just had a crankshaft position sensor replaced after stalling. At the same time they replaced the timing tensioner. This all sounds suspicious because I just had the timing belt replaced as per the manufacturers maintenance. These items are all related and I'm pretty sure there would be no issue if the timing belt was not replaced.

carguyjosh :

Good evening.

There is a chance that the timing belt replacement may have had something to do with the crankshaft sensor failure. The crankshaft position sensor is located under the timing belt.

carguyjosh :

If the shop that replaced the timing belt damaged the sensor, it may have lead to this problem.

carguyjosh :

Please ask me any questions that you may have..Thanks, Josh

Customer:

If the tensioner had to be replaced would this not cause alignment problems on the shaft?

carguyjosh :

Its very difficult for me to know why they had to replace the tensioner. A bad tensioner would not cause alignment problem but would allow the belt to be loose and possibly smacking into the sensor causing the problem. My guess would be thats why the tensioner was replaced

Customer:

ok Josh I'm satisfied with that, makes sense.