Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
29331485

Subaru Sambar: 1994 Subaru Sambar Mini Truck with Hitachi carburetor,

1994 Subaru Sambar Mini Truck with Hitachi carburetor, very difficult to start when engine is cold. Any suggestions? I suspect that there's a choke problem but, without any reference information I am not sure where to begin.
Hi .

Yes you are right with the choke being your issue , what you will have to do is check that the choke flap is in the closed position like the pic below ,

if it is open then check on the side of the carb for a red wire that goes to the automatic choke ,check that you have 12volts at the wire ,if not check the fuses if you do then the choke flap has sized
and will have to be repaired

If you don't have the electrical system like some Subaru's have then you will have a choke cable ,check that this is still working that it opens and closes the choke flap.

Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me .

Kindest regards Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Greg,

Your response referred to a picture which does not appear in my answer. Is it supposed to?

Anyway, I appreciate your help and will let you know if your suspicions are right, if you like and

thank you for your response.

Danny

Hi Danny .

No the Pic did not come out ,but not to worry I'm with you all the way Danny until this is sorted out and please get back to me if needed.

Thanks Danny well appreciated

Kindest regards Greg .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Greg,

Thought you might like to know that your information was a little off. First of all, there are no wires to the choke it appears to be completely operated by vacuum without the assist of any electric solenoids or cabling as you had indicated. I'm not sure, but I believe that the carburetor is a Hitachi HBV32. This carb has twelve to fourteen vacuum hose connections and I do not have a diagram but, I've been concentrating on the connections that appear to have some relationship to the choke actuator, unloader and anything that even looks like it could have anything to do with the choke operation. Without knowing how the choke is supposed to operate, all I can do is guess at whether or not it's working correctly. I've used a vacuum pump to check the diaphragms, checkvalves and everything connecting to the carburetor body, just to make sure that what is supposed to be working by vacuum does so and also to make sure that all of the lines are clear as well as not leaking. If I can't figure out how this is all supposed to work or I can't find the setting references needed to make the adjustments, I'll just have to rig a mechanical choke control and use it until I can get my hands on the necessary service manuals to do this right.

I don't know if you're familiar with the Sambar mini truck but, because it's a Japanese domestic, I haven't had any luck finding anything in the way of service info that relates to my truck. Is there any chance that you may know if there any serious service manuals available, in English, that I could buy? Well, that's the latest and I hope it helps you recognize the type of carb and setup we're dealing with. Without specific detail, there isn't very much that can be done to try and solve my problem.

Thanks again,

Danny

Hi Danny .

Could you take a photo of this carb for my from a few angles .

Is there a small / thin coolant hose going to and from the carb.

Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry I'm taking so long Greg but, I'm having a helluva time trying to send you pics. I'm still working on it and should have them for you shortly.

Danny

Hi Danny no problem, i will still be here ,as i always check in .on my questions .

Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Greg,

I have not been able to send you the pics you requested. I just can't get them to go. So, I guess that I'll just have to wing it on my own. I do have an idea that I will follow up on and could let you know how it works out, if you like?

Anyway, thanks for your attempt to help me out. I'm sure that if my computer skills were up to par, things would have been much easier for both of us.

Thanks again,

xxxxx

Hi Danny .

If you know how to get the photos from your Camera to your PC and down load them to your photo album then the rest is easy .

Click on the paper clip above in the answer box its between the youtube and link icon
this will open a pop up with a browse box click this then insert

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

then another will pop up with

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
click browse when the link is full click

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

OK and it will show just like i have done for you .

Kind regards Greg