The Audi Doctor
The Audi Doctor, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
9204914

Satellite Plymouth: I have a 1965 Plymouth satellite which

I have a 1965 Plymouth satellite which I'm trying to get started. I don't know when it was started last, but it did run maybe 10 or 15 years ago. It turns over but hasn't started yet. I've replaced the plugs,gas , oil and battery. What is your take on this?

Thank You for choosing Just Answer and Pearl.com for your query. Yes, I can help you.

First off you must determine. If it won’t start due to lack of ignition (spark), or lack of fuel.

If you have a can of starting fluid that you can purchase from any parts store. Remove the top of the air cleaner and give it about a 2 second squirt into the carburetor, then see if it starts. If so either the fuel pump has failed or possibly the needle and seat in the carburetor is stuck shut and does not allow fuel into the carburetor.

The other thing to check for would be ignition. If you remove one of the spark lug wires from a spark plug, and put an old spark plug into the end of the wire. Now lay the spark plug against some clean metal of the engine and have someone crank the starter. Can you see “spark” jumping across the gap?

Let me know how it goes from here and I will further assist you.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED. Please rate my answer as OK, GOOD, or EXCELLENT. With a lower rating I will not be compensated. Please contact me with your concerns if you cannot rate my answer OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT.

Thank You!
Jake “The Auto Doctor”
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm getting a spark by removing the spark plug wire and putting a plug in.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
By spraying starting fluid into the carb, it did start for a short couple of seconds.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I fix this needle and seat being stuck closed in the carb.
Ok so we have established it is not getting fuel, The cause is most likely either the fuel pump has failed or fuel is not getting through the carburetor. You could try th stating fluid a couple more times to make sure the fuel pump is primed, but if it won't continue to run on it's own, I suggest you try disconnecting the fuel line where it goes into the carburetor. Direct the flow of the hose into a bottle or can. crank over the engine and see if fuel comes out.

If no fuel comes out the fuel pump has likely failed. If there is fuel, at least the top of the carburetor must come off and inspected to see what the problem is.

Report back with your findings and we will go from there. I am taking my kids to a "Pumpkin Patch" and will return any reply in a few hours

Thank You!
Jake
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
By disconnecting the fuel line and directing the fuel into a can, NO fuel came out. If your right then it must be the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It does however start to turn over if I let it set for a few minuets, but it doesn't kep running.
Yes, the fuel pump is the likely suspect. If you follow the fuel line it should attach to the pump down on the side near the bottom of the engine. Typically there is a steel line coming out of the pump and the inlet side is typically a rubber hose if you disconnect the rubber hose there should be fuel available there. If so the pump is failed and will require replacement.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have further questions on this matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Thank You!
Jake “The Auto Doctor”