Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40 Years reparing all types of vechiles
5784781

Plymouth Breeze: my 1997 plymouth breeze its oil lite comes

my 1997 plymouth breeze it's oil lite comes on when I apply brake. Does not stay on when driving, also it does not do it until I have been driving for about 10 min. Just had oil changed last week. Is it safe to drive?
Category: Car
Expert:  Don Knight replied 1 year ago.

Donald Knight :

Good morning.There are two things that could cause this problem.The first is a faulty oil pressure switch.You need to hook up a mechanical gage to the oil pressure switch location and with the engine running at normal temperature see what the oil pressure is.If the pressure is normal then the switch is the problem.If the pressure is low(under 15 PSI) then you have a mechanical problem with the engine bearings.

Customer:

yes I already HAVE bought a pressure switch, just cannot seem to find on web a pic of WHERE the oil pressure switch IS

Donald Knight :

Which engine do you have.

Customer:

I must go to work in few min and worried to drive

Customer:

yikes think a 2.0?

Customer:

book in car...not real sure

Donald Knight :

If you dont hear any clattering from the engine the switch is probably the problem.I still need to know which engine you have so I can tell you where the switch is.

Customer:

as I said, pretty sure a 2.0

Donald Knight :

The oil pressure switch is located on the right side of the engine(passenger side) below the #1 exhaust port.It is the same location on either the 2.0 or the 2.4.

Customer:

#1 exhaust port?

Donald Knight :

That would be the exhaust manifold.#1 is the first piston.

Customer:

hard to remove? need special wrench socket?

Customer:

can one drive at all?

Customer:

or will it ruin car before I get switch replaced?

Donald Knight :

Yes you need a special socket but from your questions I would advise you to have a shop replace the switch.It only takes a few minunets so it should not cost much for the job.The special socket is about $15 and you probably wont use it again.Like I stated earlier if you dont hear any abnormal noises in the engine then I dont see driving your car as a problem.Most times the switch is the problem.

Customer:

thank you. will shops allow you to bring the switch in? I already purchased from auto zone?

Donald Knight :

Some do and some dont.I really cant answer that.You just need to call your local shops and ask them.

Customer:

ok thanks

Donald Knight :

You are welcome and good luck with the repairs.Have a great day,Don

Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 40 Years reparing all types of vechiles