Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 5.9 liter turbo pickup

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 5.9 liter turbo pickup that won't start. I've noticed that its been getting harder and harder to start. After a hard start I drove it about 15 miles on a warm day, got to my destination, turned truck off. Shopped for 30 minutes tried to start and it would not start. It would crank but would not start. Towed it home. Checked fuel pump, crank positioning sensor. All checked out fine. The only thing that got it to start was a shot of ether. Batteries were 7 years old so thought maybe it was not getting enough amps so replaced the batteries. After replacing batteries it would start but still cranked hard but at least it started for a couple of weeks. Then would crank but would not start. Thought maybe it was the alternator so I replaced the alternator but it did not start. Then thought it could be the heat grid relays/selinoids so replaced both of them. Would not start. Recharged batteries and it started. I let it sit overnight came out next morning and tried to start but it would not start. So I checked batteries. They were at 12.5 volts. Checked batteries while starting. They drawed down to 11.1 volts while relays were heating heat grid. Once the relays kicked off battery showed 11.7 volts while cranking. But still won't start? Can you help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX you pulled codes from the computer yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had a shop hook it up to a machine but it gave no codes. I don't have a machine. Is there any other way to pull codes without one. I can't afford to keep taking it in.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can do this your self, if you sit in the drivers seat and close the door, you must then cycle the key on/off, 3 times ending in the on position, the codes will appear in the odometer window, where the mileage is, can you do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I did this and got a code P 0700

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
was this the only code? and is the 8th vin number a 6 or a C ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes that was the only code and the 8th number is XXXXX 6

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
ok, this is the VP44 system, you really need to check the lift pump pressure , this is a common failure on these, the lift pump pressure must be over 10 psi, have you checked this yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does this require a special tool ? After I've been able to get it started it runs like a new truck. Would this be the case if the lift pump was not pushing 10 PSI

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
yes, it will cause a hard start, but can run good once started, you will need a fuel pressure gauge, it connects to a shcrader valve at the injection pump, most parts houses will loan you a gauge for a small deposit, can you do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The guy I'm working with has a fuel pressure gauge but we have not been able to find a shcrader valve. Can you tell me where this is located?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
the fuel line that goes from the fuel filter housing goes to the injection pump, on the banjo fitting that connects this line to the injection pump, there should be a shrader valve, not all of them have them, do you have a schrader valve here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no schrader valve there and could not find one. This problem does not always occur on a cold start. Even when the truck has been run and turned off it will not restart. Could this be a pressure regulator valve on the fuel rail? I replaced the original fuel pump at 130,000 miles. I got about 60,000 miles on the replacement pump. I then replaced the pump again with a heavy duty fuel pump from Cummins and thats why I didn't think that it could be the fuel pump because I've only gone a total of 60,000 miles on this heavy duty fuel pump.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
these do not have a fuel rail, the common rail motors have a fuel rail, but the VP44 uses individual lines going from the injector pump to the injectors, if the 8th vin number is XXXXX and not a c, this is not a common rail motor, we need to be sure which motor is in this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is a common rail The Vin # XXXXX XXXXX and it has a presure regulator on it.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
according to the vin its a VP44, the common rail should be a c in the 8th vin, but if it definately has the common rail motor, the diagnostics are totaly different, and with your symptoms, it sounds like you have a bad injector, on the common rail motors, the injectors return unused fuel to the tank, and if one of the injector sticks, it lowers the fuel rail pressure, and causes a hard start, to check you need a scanner to see what the fuel rail pressure is, it needs to be over 7500 psi, if its lower, then you have an injector sticking open on the return, do you have a scanner or access to one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess what im going to do is replace the pressure regulator first, if that doesnt do it then i will have to plug each injector one at a time to see if one is sticking open. If I find one that is sticking do you recommend replacing them all or just the one? If I do replace one or all do you recommend new or remanufactured. In your experience If one goes bad do the rest soon follow?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
we only change the one that is bad, usually it does not indicate they are all going to go, and at 500 a piece, doing all of them is pretty pricey, how many miles do you have on this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

270,000 miles

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
then with this mileage, I would replace all of them, the only available aftermarket are remanned injectors, but all of them are Bosch factory remaned, online you can get these as low as 250 dollars apiece,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL