Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

Olds Cutlass: I have a 95 Olds Cutlass. When driving along

I have a 95 Olds Cutlass. When driving along it will all of a sudden stop in the middle of the road and then I have to restart it. The alternator, fuel pump, spark plugs, gass tank filter have all been replaced. No water in the gas. Mechanic said it was a sensor and when he replaced it the car would not start at all, he checked with parts dealer and it was the correct one for the car so they sent another one and when installed, the car would not start so he put the old one back in. Car does no do it on short trips of 1 mile but will do it on 7-8 mile trips or longer and does not do it all the time. Sometimes it will happen 2 -3 times on a trip and then go weeks without doing it. Any ideas

This is usually caused by the ignition module or crank sensor but the only way to be sure is with some testing while the problem is happening

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There has been no way to test when it is happening as the car will start right up again with no problem. Several mechanics have kept the car and driven it but it has not happened to them at this point.

I know what you mean I have worked on many cars with similar problems, in that case all you can do is wait for the problem to get worse or start replacing parts and hope you get it right on the first few tries, but that is up to you I know this can be a pain and some what dangerous depending on when it stalls so to me I would want it fixed asap.