Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2005 Hybrid Sierra 2.3 L that wont crank over.I checked

I have a 2005 Hybrid Sierra 2.3 L that won't crank over.I checked the batteries and and fully charged them ,checked all the fuses ..OK

checked all visible connections..OK

did computer scan and got codes..........p0452, P1A13.... P1A16.. P1A10.. P1A13.. P1A16.. P1A32

Fail sense clear codes........... P0452....P1A10..P1A16...P1A24..P1A2B...P1A32

I cleared all the codes and when I tried to start it again all codes came back and there is a clicking sound coming from transformer when I try to crank it....wonder if you could help me with this problem
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 2 years ago.

FixItMan : Hello, and thank you for letting us help you with your automotive question. Can you give me clarification on what type of vehicle this is? Did this just start all of a sudden?
Customer:

It is a 2005 Hybrid Sierra pick up with a 2.3 L and I was driving on the highway and it just cut off

Customer:

I forgot to mentioned that all lights on dash and other electrical components work, head lights etc..

FixItMan : Do all of those lights stay illuminated when you attempt to start the vehicle?
Customer:

sorry but I should have said it was a 5.3 L not 2.3L and no the lights went out when I tried to start it

FixItMan : Thank you. I figured that was what you meant. Due to the codes that you are getting you are having an issue with the hybrid system. It sounds like the computer thinks that the battery is too hot. This will keep the vehicle from running. In some cases this is a bad sensor but most of the time it is a control module issue. You may be able to get the computer logic reprogrammed to fix it. Do you plan on fixing this yourself?
Customer:

thanks for that information and I was planning on doing it myself .What would I need to do this myself?

FixItMan : Do you have any type of scan tool or digital multi meter?
Customer:

yes I have both.

FixItMan :

One last question. Does your scanner read the data from the hybrid module?

Customer:

I have a genisys scan tool 3.0 I'm not sure if it will read data from hybrid module I can give it a try

FixItMan : See if it has that capability. Let me know what kind of info that it gives you if it does.
Customer:

I will be going out off town for a few days ,will let u know as soon as I get back

Customer:

I tried the Genisys scan tool on the HYbrid this morning and all it gives me are the codes that I listed for u on the begining of my problem and getting clicking sound from transformer and not cranking....all lights are working when I turn the key but go out when trying to crank

FixItMan :

That is going to make it hard to diagnose without being able to read the system data. Lets start somewhere else then. It is quite possible that the vehicle is having an ignition switch problem. I recommend checking to see if the starter relay is clicking when you try starting the vehicle. Let me know if it does and then we can continue with other electrical tests on the switch afterwards.

Customer:

The starter relay is not clicking when I try starting

FixItMan :

Okay. There is a starter/charging control module issue going on here. At this point you need a more advanced set of equipment to go further with this vehicle. If you would like I will opt out of the question to see if another expert can help you with what you have.

Customer:

ok. thanks for trying

FixItMan : No problem. Please wait to rate any answers when another expert helps you. Good luck.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer!

Different tech here.

Did you still need help?

Are you looking for possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, still trying to figure it out

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok..

Can I get your VIN?

If you clear the codes, which code comes back first?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cleared all the codes and when I tried to start it again all codes came back ..........p0452, P1A13.... P1A16.. P1A10.. P1A13.. P1A16.. P1A32
IN THIS ORDER

Fail sense clear codes........... P0452....P1A10..P1A16...P1A24..P1A2B...P1A32 and the vin# XXXXX

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
which option best fits your vehicle.

Ext. Cab Long Bed 4WD
Ext. Cab Short Bed 4WD
SLE Ext. Cab Long Bed 4WD
SLE Ext. Cab Short Bed 4WD
SLT Ext. Cab Long Bed 4WD
SLT Ext. Cab Short Bed 4WD
Work Truck Ext. Cab Long Bed 4WD
Work Truck Ext. Cab Short Bed 4WD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

SLE Ext. Cab Short Bed 4WD

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Is the PCM activating the starter relay when trying to start the engine?

If not, we need to check the PCM inputs including the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

. The PCM is not activating the starter relay when trying to start the engine and I will check the PCM imputs and the ignition switch and will get back to you soon

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Check the purple wire pin 59 on connector 2 of the PCM for power with the ignition switch in the start position. This is the input to the PCM to activate the starter relay.

Let me know!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is power on the purple wire pin 59 with ignition on

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
There shouldn't be. Either your checking it wrong or there is something major going on.

Disconnect the electrical part of the ignition switch and see if there is still power on this wire at the PCM with the key on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I may have read you wrong...with the ignition in run position there is no power with the ignition in crank position there is power
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
With the key on, check voltage at the blue/green wire at the crank sensor and voltage on the red wire of the camshaft position sensor.

Let me know the readings.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

there is 12.5 volts on each wire

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
EXCELLENT!

Our next step is to check the voltage on the yellow/black wire leaving the PCM on pin 39 on connector 1 with the ignition switch in the start position.

Let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I get 12.8 volts

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Are you sure?

If this with the vehicle in park and key in the start position?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm pretty sure but I'll check again

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
If this is the case, it sounds like the PCM is bad and needs to be replaced.

You can ground this wire leaving the PCM and if the starter and starting circuit are good, the starter motor will activate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I double checked the voltage on the yellow/black wire leaving PCM and it is 12.8 volts,but I'm confused about when u say starter.........this is an hybrid......no starter

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Of course it does. How else would the engine start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it has a stator on flywheel

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
According to the wiring diagrams from GM, it has a starter motor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

where would this starter be located on the truck?

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Here is the starter motor for your gas engine. This is located underneath the vehicle next to the oil pan.

Click here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not sure what wiring diagram you have showing you a starter located near the oil pan, because the 2005 Hybrid Sierra I have, as oversize starter motor/stator, allowing the engine to be turned off whenever the car is coasting, braking, or stopped, yet restart quickly . The motor is mounted between the engine and transmission, taking the place of the torque converter.It does have a starter like the type on ordinary gas engine

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Thats correct. This is the starter motor I am talking about located under the vehicle. This still should start the engine regardless when the vehicle is not traveling when it is in park.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

lol Now we have that clarified ....you say you can ground this wire leaving the PCM..yellow/black that one with 12.8 volts on it?

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Thats correct!

This is the wire that the PCM grounds to activate the starter relay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I grounded the wire and and only thing happens ....there is a noise coming from the transformer...loud clicking or arcing sound. The starting relay you're talking about...thats the one located in the fuse box.If it is there isn't any clicking coming from it

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
The ignition switch needs to be in the run position when doing this. This is because one of the pins on the starter relay only get power with the ignition switch in the "run" position.

It should click when doing this test.

If not, remove the starter relay and check to see if it has two powers going into it with the ignition in the "run" position.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

with the key in run position there is only one power on relay...........but I never checked the power on relay with wire grounded.....

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me which color wire has power going into the relay?

Are the pins marked? Which pin has power going into the relay?

Does the relay have power to it with the key off?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
One terminal going to the starter relay gets power from the 40 amp IGN A fuse under the hood. This fuse and feed to the relay should be hot at all times.

The other power supply to the starter relay gets power from the park neutral position switch. The park neutral position switch gets power from the 10 amp IGN E fuse in under the hood.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll check this out in the morning and get back to you

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Checked both fuses and OK ...going to check the park neutral position switch and see if power is going to and from...will let u know

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Excellent!

Sounds good!

Also, be sure that both of these fuses have power on them. This is very important.

Let me know what you find!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have power going to the park neutral position switch and power leaving

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. then this wire should have power at the starter relay.

If not, you have an open or a break in the wiring from the PNP switch to the starter relay.

I am glad I could help! It has been a pleasure working with you.

Please don't forget to rate my answer so I get credit for assisting you today.

The question WILL NOT close. We will still be able to continue this conversation if you have any further questions after you rate my answer.

Please take a moment to get familiar with our new rating system. This is very important and this affects me greatly. There are 5 ratings that are listed below. Please rate my service as number 5 "Great service" or "Excellent service" for providing you timely accurate information specific to your vehicle or use the reply button to continue the conversation.

1) Bad service--------------Does not pay me, and means you had a negative experience

2) Poor service-------------Does not pay me, and means you had a negative experience

3) Ok service----------------Pays me and means you had an "OK" experience

4) Good Service------------Pays me and means you had a positive experience

5) Excellent service--------Pays me and means you had an Excellent experience

Again, if you have any additional questions, please feel free to reply by using the "CONTINUE THE CONVERSATION" button.

Best Regards

Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector