Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

maserati bitubro: need to time my 1984 maserati bitubro 2.5

need to time my 1984 maserati bitubro 2.5 carb. single coil eng.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello

are you after an ignition timing figure or details of how to do the cam timing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ingnition timming

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jack

the distributor should be set for 12-13 degrees BTDC at 1000rpm & 29-30 degrees max advance.
If your distributor has a vacuum advance unit fitted disconnect this before setting the timing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MATT i CHANGED THE TIMMING BELT AND WATER PUMPNOW I HAVE THE CAMS TIMMIND BUT CAN NOT GET ING.TIMMING RIGHT IHAVE THE CRANK MARK ON THE FLYWHEEL SET ONYHE MARK "PMS"NOW WHAT?

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jack

the PMS mark puts it onto TDC no 1 so you should look at the crank pulley to find the 8, 10 and 12 BTDC marks and then with the pointer on the timing chest
then with the distributor cap off rotate the body so that the rotor arm will point to the no.1 post inside the dizzy cap.
then using a strobe light on a running engine to fine tune the distributor setting

if your engine doesn't have the pointer or the pulley marks then I'd suggest 1st make up a wire pointer from some coat hanger wire and secure to a suitable bolt so it points to the pulley
then using a degree wheel template - as you get from engine tuning shops and use this to scribe on the 12 ° BTDC mark after you've marked a TDC as you know where TDC is from the flywheel end .

and to double check cam timing the Cam marks should be lined up with index markings on the front caps . Line up the BIG MARKS NOT the Small Ones ...small ones are for Piston No6 at TDC .....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sounds good matt so you don't turn eng over one turn before stabbing the dist?

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jack

not sure what you mean by 'stabbing the dist'?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

stabbing means installing the distributor on #1 fireing position

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jack

the thing is that the PMS / TDC point will be correct only once depending on where the cams are

the best thing to do is remove the no.1 spark plug and place your thumb over the hole whilst your assistant turns the engine over

the TDC point you want is when its coming up to compression and so building up pressure under your thumb

at this TDC point then 'stab' the distributor
Matt, Engineer
Experience: Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.