Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1991 Rodeo with 3.1 GM engine starts fine when temp above 50.

Customer Question

1991 Rodeo with 3.1 GM engine starts fine when temp above 50. Hard to start below 50 degrees. But once it starts, it can be turned off immediately and re-started with no problems. Fuel filter has been replaced . Also plugs wires, rotor, temp sensor. Runs fine. Good gas mileage. 220K miles regualr maintenance and oil changed every 400 miles
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

Customer:

Hi what is the solution?

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

a couple of things you need to do here

Customer:

OK what? I'm looking for an answer to my question

Customer:

start talking

tims auto repair :

first,,,,you need to check the fuel pressure,,these must have no less than 9psi at all times,,even while turning the starter

tims auto repair :

sometimes a weak fuel pump will do this

Customer:

fuel pressure is ok

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

the next thing would be the ignition module

Customer:

fuel pump is OK

Customer:

ign module has also been replaced

tims auto repair :

i have seen bad ignition modules do this

tims auto repair :

how much fuel pressure does it have?

tims auto repair :

what can happen here,,is the starter can pull amps away from a weak fuelpump

tims auto repair :

you need to check the fuel pressure while turning the starter

tims auto repair :

it must have no less than 9psi with the starter turning

Customer:

had a problem several years ago that the vehicle started fine when cold and would stop after running a while and then would not re-start until the engine cooled down for several hours --ign module!

engine will start immediately when above 50 degrees outside. Hard starting below 50 degrees. ( temps just dropped here in Atlanta) the engine may have to be cranked 30-50 seconds to get started. sometimes it is like it is hitting on one cylinder, then two, then three ..."i think I can" once it starts, it runs fines. the engine can be cut off immediately after starting in this situation and will start normally immediately

this seems more like a computer type/electronic problem --which is why I first replaced the cold start sensor

tims auto repair :

i under stand that

tims auto repair :

did you replace the module for this problem?

Customer:

provide me a phone # XXXXX reach you so we can talk about this . So far we are "NO PAY." you have not solved my problem or provided me with anything I don't already know

tims auto repair :

sorry,,we are not allown to give or receive any personal info

Customer:

if it were the module now, it is unlikely that the engine would start --much less re-start immediately as normal after the initial start

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

a module will do this

tims auto repair :

what it will do,,is kill the pulse to the injectors

Customer:

Sorry then. I have to say UNSATISFACTORY and refuse payment for service

tims auto repair :

if you will hang with me...we will fix it

tims auto repair :

are you willing?

tims auto repair :

or,,do you just want to use me to blow off steam?......i work on these every day

Customer:

So far, I don't see much to encourage me. I have worked on my own cars for many years. It is getting tougher due to computers. I have discussed this problem with several of my friends who are ASE mechanics. We have been thru all these things. No one has an answer. I didn't worry about it over the summer. This is a back-up utility vehicle, not my prime transportation so it has not been a high priority with me. The difficulty in starting is more of an irritant ...coupled with the fact that it does not make sense to me and I don't like problems I can't solve

tims auto repair :

ok...do you want to fix it?

tims auto repair :

if so,,we will test a few things

tims auto repair :

if not,,,we are wasting each others time

Customer:

I don't need to "blow off steam" I was hoping for a fix from someone smarter/more experienced than me. But I am not sure this is an on-line fix. I may need to give the vehicle to a shop and let them experience first hand what I have described

tims auto repair :

no

tims auto repair :

we can do it

Customer:

I am always willing to pay for results, but not for what I have gotten thus far ..and I say that with no disrespect intended

Customer:

I don't want to waste your time or mine

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

lets fix it

tims auto repair :

are you ready?

tims auto repair :

is the engine cold now?

Customer:

Let's understand that if we can't fix it, I am not willing to pay for suggestions that did not solve the problem.

tims auto repair :

lol

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

is the engine cold now?

tims auto repair :

on this site..you dont need to pay if we dont help you

tims auto repair :

are you ready to start?

Customer:

I drove it this morning to take my wife to the airport. My guess is that right now I could start it without a problem. It depends on the temp in the morning ..and temps are supposed to go up the rest of this week. The intermittent aspect of this makes it difficult to diagnose ..and especially if you are not here to see it firsthand and are trying to communicate as we are now

But I am willing to try whatever you may wish to suggest. However, it may be an in the morning kind of thing to see what the results might be

Your call whether to go forward

tims auto repair :

ok

Customer:

is that yes or no?

tims auto repair :

quit writing me novels...lol

tims auto repair :

we need to check a few things

Customer:

if yes, tell me what you want me to check and I will try to get that done today. I have several irons in the fire right now

tims auto repair :

and just answer a few questions

Customer:

fire away

tims auto repair :

there are a few things that can cause your problem

tims auto repair :

what you need to do,,

tims auto repair :

is to take the breather off of the throttle body

tims auto repair :

look at the two injectors

tims auto repair :

have your help to turn the engine

tims auto repair :

the injectors should pulse fuel when the starter is turning

tims auto repair :

when it is cold

tims auto repair :

i would think you dont have a pulse cold

tims auto repair :

the fist thing you will need to do

tims auto repair :

is to test the fuel

pressure

tims auto repair :

it must have no less than 9psi..anything less wont be enough pressure to push the fuel though the injectors

tims auto repair :

if the pressure is fine

tims auto repair :

then...

tims auto repair :

you will need to replace the ignition module,,,,when the ignition module does this,,testing them at the parts store may not help...sense it will still have a spark

tims auto repair :

the starter can pull amps away from a bad

ignition module,,killing the pulse

tims auto repair :

if the fuel pressure is weak,,replace the fuel pump

tims auto repair :

if both of these check out

tims auto repair :

remove the throttle body and clean the injectors

tims auto repair :

sometimes these will get clogged with deposits and not let it get enough fuel for cold starts

tims auto repair :

1991 Isuzu Truck Rodeo (4WD) V6-3137cc 3.1L (CPC)
Fuel Pressure Testing and Inspection, Component Tests and General Diagnostics: Fuel System Pressure Test

1. Before servicing fuel system components, fuel system pressure must be released. To relieve pressure, proceed as follows:
a. Remove fuel pump fuse from fuse block.
b. Run engine until fuel remaining in lines is consumed. When engine shuts down, engage starter for approximately three seconds to relieve any remaining pressure.
c. With ignition off, replace fuel pump fuse.
2. Remove fuel line between TBI unit and fuel filter. Use a suitable back-up wrench to hold flare nut on throttle body when removing line.
3. Install fuel pressure gauge J-29658 or equivalent, between throttle body and filter.
4. Check pressure reading with engine running. Fuel pressure should be between 9 and 13 psi.
5. De-pressurize fuel system, remove pressure gauge and reinstall fuel line.
6. Start engine and check for fuel leaks.

tims auto repair :

if i am not right and it doesnt fix it

tims auto repair :

no need to pay

Customer:

problem #1 is I don't have a "helper" right now. My wife is out of town for then next week

Fuel pressure was fine when I checked that last winter during this problem, but I understand. What I don't understand is why the engine would immediately start again like normal after being shut off as soon as it "hard started"

I can put in another ign module but if that does not solve the problem, I am out the cost of the module since there is no return on electronic parts. If that works, HALLEJULAH! And you are a SMART guy!!

I'm feeling better about you with these specifics :)

I am going to cross my fingers

If I lose you now, how do I re-connect if these things don't solve the problem at hand?

tims auto repair :

the checks you done,,was then

tims auto repair :

we need to do them now why you have the problem

tims auto repair :

all you need to do..is sign in to justanswer and reply back to this thread

tims auto repair :

to boil it down.....

i think your problem is eiather the fuel pump...or the ignition module

tims auto repair :

tims auto repair :

no need to leave a rating yet

tims auto repair :

you can after you get it fixed....or reply back to me for more info

tims auto repair :

are you there?

Customer:

Since I said my guess was electronic to begin with, I am leaning toward the ign module. I was not aware that the ign module might prevent starting below the 50 degree mark as opposed to preventing starting when it heated up --perhaps causing a circuit "separation"

I hear you about doing them now vs then.

My initial diagnosis was fuel or electric --which is why I changed the fuel filter as a "first" step. Not expensive to do. Easy access. Normal maintenance

Thanks for the recs. I will give them a try and come back to you with success or failure.

I may go to the parts store today and get an ign module since I don't need a helper to try that

What part of the country are you located?

This Rodeo has been a GREAT vehicle. Very reliable and little maintenance other than routine consumables. A far cry from my Volco XC90. I won't won another Volvo! Nice vehicle. Good performance with the V*. EXPENSIVE parts and service ..and a LOUSY corporate attitude. I was told by the Corporate Service Manager of Volvo North America, "We don't condone customers working on their cars" when I called with a problem. I found that a bit arrogant

Customer:

Had to take a call

tims auto repair :

please unerstand..after you buy the module,,it is yours,,,id rather you check the pressure first....

tims auto repair :

then if the pressure is right,,then replace the module

tims auto repair :

if the pressure is low,,you will need to replace the fuel pump

Customer:

OK

tims auto repair :

tims auto repair :

im in tenn.

Customer:

OK

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.