Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

GM Grand Pontiac: HISTORY...suddenly my car would not start...just

HISTORY...suddenly my car would not start...just knock,knock,knock...my local mechanic with whom I have a great deal of trust...replaced the ignition..still problems...checked it for me again...still problems..he wants me to bring it back it again, says it has to be corrected...friends want me to take it to a GM dealer (my local dealer was closed down) what is your opinion? 2001 Grand Am Pontiac 60,000 miles no past problems, just regular maintenance
So its not cranking just this knocking sound? Do you know where this sound is comming from?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, but it is not the battery because we replaced that, it was six years old.

Does it start now? What else has been tried to fix this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sometimes it starts immediately, other times I have to fiddle with the key (which is new) in order to make it start. Jim, my mechanic tells me I should not have to do that. He programs it on the computer and says he will have to do that again.

What do you do when you fiddle with the key? When you said the ignition was replaced was that the ignition switch or lock cylinder?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I beleive it was the ignition switch

What do you do when you fiddle with the key?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I rotate it gently and attempt to reposition the key, after a few attemts, or sometimes with only one attempt, it seems to "lock in" and it starts immediately.

Ok if thats the case I would have that ignition switch looked at again and if it appears to be good the lock cylinder could be causing this problem. As for to take it to the dealer or your mechanic I would take it where you feel comfortable, if your mechanic is a good mechanic he will find the problem eventually, sometimes this kind of problem can be difficult to diagnose.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks Expert...if I do have further questions how do I get in touch with you?

Thanks for asking please do not forget to give me a good rating.