Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair

Saab 93: when I turn the temp control knob I get a tapping

when I turn the temp control knob I get a tapping noise with no heat.
What you are experencing is a bad mode door actuator (this is an electrial motor that controlls the posistion of the heater/a/c blend doors) What happens is the motor gears tend to strip out (they are plastic gears inside the motors) And then when you select a certain posistion like the heat posistion, and the motor trys to change the posistion and there is a bad spot on the plastic gear it will not switch, and you will here a clicking type noise! You need to replace the hot/cold temp. actuator motor, Then all will be good! Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is this something I could fix on my own without much difficulty? If so, is the actuator located within the dash? Sounds like I'll need to purchase a maintenance manual. Thanks for your help.