Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

i bought a 91 isuzu trooper.it runs but stalls after short

Customer Question

i bought a 91 isuzu trooper.it runs but stalls after short period of time.if i wait 5 or 10 minutes it will start again but then does the same thing and stalls.any ideas,thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

When the engine stalls out and does not restart, does it have spark and fuel?

Are there any codes in the computer?

How does the engine run when it does run?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i know if it had spark or fuel as i didnt have my tools when i went to pick it up and drive it home.the guy i bought it from told it would run for approx. 10miles at a time so i was going to try and wing it to my house

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Jared,

Sounds good! We need ot run this test in order to figure out direction we need to go in.

Get it to act up and check for spark and fuel.

Let me know what you find!

Amedee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the car is45miles away.wont be able to get to it until tonight.how do i get in touch with u or someone tomorrow morning.after checking for fuel and spark whats the next step

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
It depends on what you find. If there is spark but no fuel, then we see if the engine runs on starting fluid. If there is no spark, then we check the ignition system.

Just reply back to this page and I will get it and get back to you asap!

Amedee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i shoot starter fluid on to the air and it started but died shortly after

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Jared,

It sounds to me like you just have a fuel delivery concern. Chances are the fuel pump is going bad when it heats up causing your condition.

Start by checking fuel pressure when this happens. If there is no fuel pressure when the engine stalls, check for power going to the fuel pump. If there is no fuel pressure and you have power to the fuel pump, then the fuel pump is bad and will need to be replaced.

I am glad I could help! It has been a pleasure working with you.

Please don't forget to rate my answer so I get credit for assisting you today.

The question WILL NOT close. We will still be able to continue this conversation if you have any further questions after you rate my answer.

Please take a moment to get familiar with our new rating system. This is very important and this affects me greatly. There are 5 ratings that are listed below. Please rate my service as number 5 "Great service" or "Excellent service" for providing you timely accurate information specific to your vehicle or use the reply button to continue the conversation.

1) Bad service--------------Does not pay me, and means you had a negative experience

2) Poor service-------------Does not pay me, and means you had a negative experience

3) Ok service----------------Pays me and means you had an "OK" experience

4) Good Service------------Pays me and means you had a positive experience

5) Excellent service--------Pays me and means you had an Excellent experience

Again, if you have any additional questions, please feel free to reply by using the "CONTINUE THE CONVERSATION" button.

Best Regards

Amedee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi amedee.i taiked to u yesterday about isuzu trooper that was stalling.my question is how to check for fuel pressure and power to the fuel pump.thanks

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Jared,

You need to check fuel pressure using a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to the fuel rail.

You can use a test light or a voltmeter to check power at the fuel pump while cranking. I would go right to the fuel pump itself or the fuel pump test connector. If you need to know the power wire, just let me know!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

could let me know exactly where to test for power to the pump etc.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Jared,

You would need to check for power on the red wire going to the fuel pump. So find the red wire in the fuel pump connector back at the fuel tank and check for power when cranking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks,i'll get back to you

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
You bet!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yesterday i found a lose vacuum line.started it up,it idled well for about 10mins.i took for a drive around the block,it ran fine.pulled her in the driveway,shut her down then tried to start again,turned over but it wouldnt start.ive got spark,power to fuel pump.wondering if it could be the relay and how i test for that.thank

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Jared,

First what relay are you talking about?

Was the fuel pump running when cranking the engine over when this happened? If so, what is the fuel pressure at when this happened?

Did the engine run on starting fluid when this happens?

Have you checked injector pulse when this happens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the fuel pump relay.im going to get pressure tester this morning.how do i check for injector pulse?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
You hook a noid light up to the fuel injector connector and crank the engine over. IT should blink when the engine is cranking over.

You can ohm out the fuel pump relay. It should ohm out at about 70 to 90 ohms or you can check the inputs to the fuel pump relay. It should have two powers and one ground in order to activate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry but whats a noid light.thanks for the patience

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Jared,

Click here

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Jared,

I see you have indicated that you need more help?

I am not sure why you would give me a bad rating when I am only trying to help you?

Is there something I can clear up for you?

Please let me know!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Jared,

It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need further assistance.

Let me know!

Amedee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

took advice and replaced fuel pump.5 hour and 100.00 plus dollars later,the same problem.being told its possibly the distributor.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Jared,

A few things here.

First, if the engine runs on starting fluid, this means that the engine has spark. Double check to see if it will remain running with starting fluid being sprayed into the intake. If so, then the engine has spark and the distributor should be OK.

Second, if you run the noid light test and you have injector pulse, this is also another way to check the engine speed sensor inside the distributor. That is why I recommend to check for injector pulse using a noid light

But if there is no spark and no injector pulse but yet you have power to the fuel injectors and ignition coil with the key on and cranking, then yes.. the distributor is bad and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i asked but didnt get a answer on what a noid test was and how to perform test

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Jared,

A noid light is a light that plugs into the injector connector and it will blink if the connector has power and is getting pulsed to ground from the computer.

You would just disconnect the connector going to one of the fuel injectors and plug in the noid light into the connector and watch it when it stalls to see if the light stops blinking before the engine stalls.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

went ahead and pulled distributor cap and rotor.they looked worn.i cant get new ones until tomorrow so i cleaned them up and reinstalled.also there was some oil on inside bottom of cap.them i started it up and the same thing,ran about 5 min. then stalled.waited about 20min.,started it again and now it wont stall.wonder why initially after cleaning distributor cap it wouldnt stay running but after waiting,it seems to be running fine.any ideas what this could be about.is it possible that having fresh fuel running through it cleaned something up at the injectors

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Jared,

If there is oil in the distributor, the distributor needs to be replaced. Oil gets into the engine pickup sensor and trigger wheel and corrupts the engine speed signal going back to the computer. It could just be running now that you cleaned the oil out of the distributor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cant i just replace the o ring

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
You can sure try.. We just replace the entire distributor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

91 isuzu trooper 4x4.the front passenger disc brake is locking up.i replaced the caliper and its still locking up.any ideas what it might be.thanks

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

Please rate my answer as excellent service for assisting you with your previous question.

After that we can continue using a different thread. Thanks!