Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Suzuki Forenza: What will cause the transmission not to shift

Customer Question

What will cause the transmission not to shift out in a 2007 Suzuki Forenza when it reaches operating temperature
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Name is Greg and i will assist you the best i can, please Only accept if you are happy with my answer.

Does the transmission work correctly when cold ?

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Donald .

Any funny noise coming from the transmission when you have this problem.

Did you check the fluid level when hot .

Have you checked for any engine and transmission codes .

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

n the problemo codes show and transmission is sealed no noise from transmission. Had to replace catalytic converter months ago if this is going bad now could this cause

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
When you say will not change gear when hot and is stuck in one gear
is it stuck in 3rd or 1st

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

possibly second engine revs car will hardly do 35

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
And if you switch the engine OFF then back on will it drive normally ,

Need to know all this, as i'm trying to if its a sensor malfunction or a transmission internal issue .

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no only after sitting for a period.

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Could you possibly take a drive down to autozone and get a free code read out done

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not at this time car is at a friends he is checking all sensor connections and cleaning with contact cleaner

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Ok make sure when he has done he will have to disconnect the battery for a few minutes, then drive the car until you have the problem again then take it in to have it checked for codes.

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

okay

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Been working on this for over 1 hour you have opened it to all experts 2 times Gregg is the only one taking the question and has come up with no answers to this point. I wish to cancel question and refund money
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Donald .

You will have to check for engine and transmission codes, otherwise no one will be able to diagnose your problem, as just shooting at the starts and tell you lies is not our way to repair cars.

If you are not in the position to do it this way your Friend checking this can end up replacing parts that you may not need..

If you would like us to continue with this issue see if there are any stored codes .

Kind regards Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

codes are as follows. P0781 1-2 shift, P0700 transmission control system. As stated does fine when engine is cold after warm up shifts through a couple of cycles then will not shift from first.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
expert offline