Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.

Suzuki XL-7: 2004 Suzuki XL-7 Oxygen Sensor questions: My

2004 Suzuki XL-7 Oxygen Sensor questions: My Girlfriend has a 2004 Suzuki XL-7 which is throwing a periodic P0037 HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 2 code (CEL), but the light will go off and come back on. It may take a day to come back on, and it may take months. I am convinced the heater in this O2 sensor is starting to get lazy and this is the culprit. She has 110,000 on the clock. I spoke with a technician yesterday who told me this would be the sensor after the catalytic converter on the driver's side. Bank number one which is where cylinder number one is, is the rear bank against the firewall, so I thinking this might be the cat on the right side of the vehicle but not sure exactly how the exhaust runs. Therefore does anyone have a diagram of the exhaust on this Suzuki? I know the best practice would be to replace them all with O.E. plug and plays and I think there are 4, however, the cost is probhibitive for four original equipment oxygen sensors. So I am replacing just replacing only the one that is reporting an issue periodically. Here's the deal though. If i had got an O.E. plug and play i would have had to ordered it and they are about 4 times as much. So i got a Bosch universal oxygensensor but here is the deal. I have done one universal sensor before and that sensor is still working today nearly 10 years later with no problems. If I recall corrrectly there were instrucions on the last one as which to connect wires to which wires. This one is a Bosch 15733 4 wire sensor, two whites, one black, and one gray...with no instructions as to connect what wire to the factory wire harness? So...gray to gray, black to black, and the whites to whites? I'm hoping the factory harness has the same colors, I'm thinking they do but I don't have the vehicle with me. Thanks for any help you can provide. A diagram of the exhaust if you have one for a 2004 Suzuki XL-7 with a 2.7 would be great to see exactly where bank one sensor two is located and how much of a "B" it is going to be to get at. Thank you for your time.

Category: Car
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! I'm Ron Z! I will do my best to answer all of your questions. For easy access to this thread, bookmark it now! Please read everything!

The Oxygen Sensor for Bank1 Sensor2 is on the driver's side, mounted to the exhaust pipe after the converter. Best access will be from under the vehicle, driver's side (red arrow in first image, 2nd image is a close-up view).

A note on the "universal" oxygen sensor- on most imports, the "universals" usually do not work. If you have to splice the wires, more than likely, it's not going to work. Looks like NAPA has a "direct-fit" for the "rear oxygen sensor" in the Bosch brand, in stock and ready to go. Looks like it sells for around $134

graphic
graphic

*** DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE A RATING FOR MY ANSWER! RATING THE ANSWER IS AN IMPORTANT PART OF THE Q&A PROCESS! ***

*PLEASE NOTE: You MUST RATE the help you've received today (OK/3 or higher) so that I receive credit for answering your question! Your rating is very important to the Q&A process! Even if you have a Subscription, you MUST rate! Need more help before you rate? No problem! Use the "Reply" tab to ask follow-up questions! Follow-up questions are FREE even after you rate the answer!

Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.