Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Ford Falcon UTE: I would Like to purchase a ford falcon UTE

I would Like to purchase a ford falcon UTE from Australia and drive it in the USA. What modifications would need to be done make this a legal transistion? Would I have to make an engine swap? it would be right hand drive, does that need to be changed? Is there anything else that I might be missing?
Hello and thank you for using Justanswer.

There are no regulations against owning and driving a right had drive car here in the US, so that will not need to be changed. The emissions and safety equipment are the parts that would be questionable. The hardest obstacle by far is the safety equipment. If the vehicle was manufactured to comply with US safety standards (most likely was not), it will need to be modified and tested by a licensed agency here in the US. This may even mean having the vehicle crash tested. Obviously this can be cost prohibitive in some circumstances. Used vehicle regulations are not as strict as new vehicles, but there are still plenty of rules. Check out the NHTSA website for specific rules and regulations by clicking here.