Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

I have had many expensive repairs done on my 2003 Cadillac

I have had many expensive repairs done on my 2003 Cadillac CTS such as replacing two oxygen sensors, battery replacement, idyling adjustment, and others. Last night for the second time, it wouldn't start and had to be towed. It has a brand new battery. What can be wrong with this car? I am going broke.

Alex
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Did it crank over or was it dead?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was dead. The battery had been replaced one week ago.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok there is definately a draw on the system was a parasitic draw test done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know. What is a parasitic draw?

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Its a test that has to be done to find out exactly what is causing the battery to drain overnight.Heres is the test and is what needs to be done to finally fix this issue and should have been done to begin with it would have saved you alot of money.This is what you need them to do.
ClickHere
These are the next steps.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help anything lower leaves me negative feedback thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So you think all the problems are related to the air flow sensors. This info is published by Toyota. Are Cadillac engines the same as Toyota? What does ECM stand for? Which type of MAF sensors does my caddy have? You're saying that because the MAF sensors don't work, the battery is dead? When the diagnostic device is placed on the engine, why doesn't it say that the MAF sensors are not OK? So the MAF sensors are drawing power from the battery? What else might be wrong with the car? I've had about four or five parts replaced in the engine. Are they all caused by this problem?

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Sorry that was for another customer .This is what needs to be done to find the problem.Most common is a sticking relay or door lock actuator but this will pinpoint the issue.
ClickHere
Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help anything lower leaves me negative feedback thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm very confused. Now you say the info about the oxygen sensors was for another customer, not me. My problem is related to a sticking relay or door lock actuator. Please explain a sticking relay and door lock actuator. How do they relate to a dead battery? Thanks.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
What happens is when the key is out of the ignition if there is a shorted relay or door lock actuator fan etc.These items will still be operating all night and discharge your battery .So they need to do the parasitic draw test I posted to find this issue and fix this once and for all so you dont have to keep spending money on the vehicle.These are the next steps.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help anything lower leaves me negative feedback thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I started the car yesterday afternoon it was OK. I did a few errands around town which took about one hour. It started fine each time I returned. The last time the ignition was turned off was about one hour. When I tried starting the vehicle, it was dead. Does this fit in with your idea of a shorted relay or door lock actuator fan? You posted infor about air flow sensors to me. Is that the parasitic draw test? Please confirm. Thanks.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

yes those would cause the issues .The mass air flow sensor disregard.You need 9o have the parasitic draw test done to have this diagnosed correct.Heres the link again.
ClickHere

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for all your help. I can't imagine what might be drawing power from my battery, but I will mention this to my mechanic. He has probably done this, but maybe not.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
He most likely if he did he did it wrong and has to do it the way I stated.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help anything lower leaves me negative feedback thanks.
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician