Ridgerunnerras
Ridgerunnerras, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  I have been fixing cars for 26 years for myself and at a used Car dealer. I am skill mechnical and autobody and paint repair
54869360

FORD FOCUS: FORD FOCUS 2011 ( 40,000 KLMS) STANDARD TRANSMISSION

FORD FOCUS 2011 ( 40,000 KLMS) STANDARD TRANSMISSION -A MISSED 'SHIFT" AND WE HAVE A BLOWN ENGINE, FORD CANADA STATES THE CAUSE AS
EXCESSIVE RPMS - THEY WILL NOT GIVE OUT THE RPMS FROM THEIR COMPUTER READOUT. THEY INSIST THAT THEY CANNOT BUT ARE UNWILLING TO OFFER WARRANTY- I HAVE BEEN GIVEN COSTS ANYWHERE FROM $8000.00 TO $10,000.00 CDN. LISTED REDLINE ON VEHICLE IS 7000RPM. ANY SUGGESTIONS. THE CAR WAS NEW AND GIVEN AS A GIFT TO OUR SON WHO IS CURRENTLY ACROSS THE COUNTRY ATTENDING UNIVERSITY WITHOUT WHEELS. AND IDEAS OR DIRECTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECEATED.

Hello I would like to help you.

Most all new Cars have a built in RPM limiter. which will not allow the engine to over rev on a missed shift.

I would ask them if this car has this. then when they say "yes then ask them why did it not work then?

and see what they say.......

You might want to ask another dealer or call the Ford Corporate office.

Now if that car was in gear then the rev limiter does not work.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to rate my answer "Great Service" This is the only way I will get compensated for my time helping you.

IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If you are having trouble with the site or rating system please let me know as this is a new feature and some Customers have had some trouble with it.

Thank you,

Carl,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THEY INFORMED US THAT THE "REV LIMITOR" ONLY WORKS WHEN ITS IN GEAR? AND NOT WHEN A SHIFT WAS MISSED!

HOW OR WHERE COULD I LOOK FOR THIS " ON BOARD " SAFETY DEVISE?

I really think What they are saying is completely backwards and you need a second opinion from another ford dealer, but do not tell them your problem before you ask them.

the rev limiter is built into the Cars Computer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your direction
you are very welcome