internal88
internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.
63512786

The accelerator on my 2008 Rondo stuck yesterday and I nearly

The accelerator on my 2008 Rondo stuck yesterday and I nearly hit another car. I slammed on the brakes 3 times and it finally stopped. The brakes worked fine, the car just was powering forward. The Cause?
Category: Car
Expert:  internal88 replied 2 years ago.

internal88 :

Hello and welcome.

Can you tell me if the check engine light is ON?

Do you have the 4 or the 6 cylinders?

Customer:

I don't think the check engine light went on. I'd have to go out and start the car to be absolutely positive. It's a 6 cylinder.

internal88 :

Ok please let me know, thanks.

Customer:

The check engine light is NOT on.

internal88 :

ok there is a possiblity the throttle position sensor and acceleration pedal sensor is bad.

internal88 :

I will explain hold on.

internal88 :

ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) system is electronically controlled throttle device which controls the throttle valve. It consists of ETC motor, throttle body and throttle position sensor (TPS). A mechanical throttle control system receives a driver's intention via a wire cable between the accelerator and the throttle valve, while this ETC system does the signal from the Accelerator Position Sensor (APS) installed on the accelerator pedal. After the PCM receives the APS signal and calculates the throttle opening angle, it activates the throttle valve by using the ETC motor.

If one of the motor or sensor is bad; your vehicle is go accelerate beyond your control.

internal88 :

The tech will need to plug in a scanner to check the TB position parameter to make sure it is within OE specification.

internal88 :

Full Size Image

internal88 :

This is the APS sensor

Customer:

Are there any other possible causes, or are you essentially saying that something in the system you described is not working? If the problem has to be in this system, can one non-functioning piece be repaired or does the whole system have to be replaced?

internal88 :

No there are the two components that control the gas pedal.

Did you make sure the carpet was not hanging the gas pedal?

Yes, only the faulty part needs to be changed. Not the whole system. It all depends on the tests that the tech will need to perform.

Customer:

Yes, I made sure that nothing was interfering with the accelerator pedal. Can you tell me what tests should be performed and roughly the parameters of the expense I might be in for?

internal88 :

yes, hold on .

internal88 :

First, they will need to inspect the TB and APS. Then a voltage and resistance test to test the output. This test alone will take 2 hours.

internal88 :

Full Size Image

internal88 :

do you have further question?

internal88 :

The throttle body sensor with part and labor can run you about $900.

internal88 :

It all depends on the final results. It could be just dirt inside the Throttle body.

Customer:

That's all I can think of right now. Thank you.

Customer:

Is there anything else you think I perhaps should ask?

Customer:

Oh yes! Does the Kia Rondo 2008 have the mechanical or the electronic system?

internal88 :

There is no recall or TSB for your vehicle, I checked.

internal88 :

Electronic system.

Customer:

Thank you!

internal88 :

Is not like the old car where there a cable link to the throttle.

internal88 :

It is all electronic.

internal88 :

You are welcome.

internal88 :

Now, you have something to start with.

Customer:

Farewell, and I will know something when I go to the dealer.

internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience: I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.