Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

SUZUKI VERONA: my 2004 suzuki verona started surging while

my 2004 suzuki verona started surging while stopped at red light and then would not go. had to play with gas pedal seemed like didnt want to go through gears - is this the feul pump and what is cost for repair/
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer!

Is the check engine light on?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Was the fuel pressure checked?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

check engin light was flashing while taking it in for tune up and they replaced left power coil - light is not on now. the code that came up was for the power coil. no new codes. don;t know if fuel pressure was checked

Ok.. based on the information you are giving me, I don't think the fuel pump is at fault. When the fuel pump goes bad causing a performance issue, it will produce low fuel pressure which will be noticed under heavy acceleration. IT will cause the engine to bog down under a load.

You are having an issue at idle. This is usually an air or a vacuum leak causing this condition.

The mass air flow sensor or a cracked air intake snorkel can also cause this problem too.

But just to be sure, I would recommend to check fuel pressure when this happens.

It should be close to 45 psi.

Another thing you will want to check is to be sure that the fuel pressure does not leak down after the engine is turned off. If so, then something in the fuel system could be leaking fuel into the engine causing this issue at idle you are describing.

But before replacing anything, pop the hood and listen for a hissing sound indicating an air or a vacuum leak.

To answer your question, if it does turn out to be a bad fuel pump, the price for the fuel pump is $254.55 plus installation. It calls for about 1.4 hours labor to replace the pump.

I hope this helps! Please don't forget to rate my answer as "excellent service" so that I get credit for assisting you with your question.

Of course please feel free to use the reply button if you have any further questions.

Best Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

would there be a code for the mass air flow sensor or a cracked air intake snorkel? is this hard and expensive to fix?

It all depends on how the mass air flow sensor goes bad. It may or may not set a code.

The air intake snorkel would set a lean code if it was cracked or ripped. However, it may set a code.. but it may take a while.

The mass air flow sensor is $260.56 but you could install it yourself as well as the air intake snorkel.