Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

Used car mileage

Customer Question

Hi, I am about to buy a April 2007 petrol 1.3L car. It's Suzuki. It has done only 25000miles. It's being offered by Authorised local suzuki dealer. It has 6 service stamps(history). It comes with 3month warranty... Shall I be worried about the mileage. And what questions shall i be asking about the car to the the dealer? Can I have answer asap...

Thank you.

Category: Car
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inq

uiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.

Billy :

Which exact model are you looking to buy?

Billy :

have you already checked the vehicle...for any rust, check the engine compartment for any apparent leaks etc...? at least visual checks?

Customer :

hi, It's Swift. I have seen the pics. It looks fine. I am going to see the car today. But was bit wary as I dont know much about buying the used car..

Billy :

Customer :

hi

Billy :

A suzuki swift is a good car in general...however, you should ask the following (since this one has a full service history):

Billy :

- was the car in any kind of accident (and if yes, what was damaged/replaced)?

Billy :

- does the warranty (3 months) cover all the car, or just the powertrain (engine, transmission)?

Billy :

By the way does it have an auto transmission or a manual transmission?

Customer :

manual

Customer :

and i have done vehicle check on Reg No. Everything was OK.

Billy :

ok....was the clutch replaced before? (that's a question you ask them).

Customer :

ok

Billy :

And then having checked these, you open the hood, check the engine oil, and the coolant...just make sure the fluids look fine, and are up to level.

Customer :

ok

Billy :

Having checked these, look on the rear of the wheel arches (front and rear)...check for any rust (unlikely, but better be on the extra safe side).

Customer :

ok

Billy :

Then, you need to test drive the vehicle: make sure you get no noises when on speed bumps, make sure the engine sounds smooth, and accelerates progressively. make sure you have no warning lights on...

Customer :

ok

Billy :

And then double check how many keys you are getting with it (as these have immobilizer keys only made by dealer, so a key will cost you a few hundred pounds...having at least one spare is a must).

Customer :

ok

Billy :

These would be the main things: fluids, rust behind wheel arches, accidents, warranty (what does it cover), and spare key...in addition to test driving, and making sure you have no lights on.

Customer :

I'll make a note of them.

Billy :

You can bookmark this page, and get back to it whenever you need...

Customer :

So if everything turns out being fine then I shouln't be concerned about the mileage?

Billy :

No, as it is an Authorized dealer, the mileage would not be tampered with. However, check it, and if you feel anything wrong, you can get back to me with the symptoms, and i'll make sure to clarify and recommend accordingly.

Customer :

Alright. Will I be able to contact you after payment of your services?

Customer :

Hi, I have just come back from checking the vehicle.

Customer :

They don't offer guarantee for the general wear and tear like tyres and stuff. Warranty is only for any mechanical or electrical fault.

Customer :

Paintwork had two blemishes... one was under the door on the chasis about half inch --- seemed like paint came off.

Customer :

the other were very small on the edge of the passenger door.

Customer :

also when i started the car thick white smoke blew out but disappeared after a minute or so.

Customer :

underneath of the car was fine but there were signs of rust on the long exhaust pipe.... Is that ok for 5yr car...

Customer :

Didn't get to drive the car because it was sandwiched at the back... they told me when i will come to buy they will bring out in front for a test drive

Customer :

and... maybe i m too wary the handwriting on 2, 3, 4 service stamp seem same written in same pen colour

Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

You can get back to me on this page having checked the vehicle, or follow up, whenever needed.

Regards, Billy.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

The paint work issue is not very important in your case...the warranty is the regular one: wear and tear items are not covered even if you get a brand new vehicle.
So all is good, except for the thick smoke:
- this can be sign of valve guide stems going dry and causing this.
Especially if it were a thick cloud of white/bluish smoke.

So you need to double check that smoke, if it is oil smoke, or simply water vapor, you can see it, and also smell it.
PS: the exhaust bit rusty is also normal, nothing to worry about.

So next time, you test drive, check for warning lights, and double check the smoke. If these are cleared, i would get this vehicle.

Regards,
Billy