iauto8, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 year ASE Auto Technician. European import specialist.

Cherokee: My 4.0L 1998 jeep Cherokee rattles/clatters at idle.

My 4.0L 1998 jeep Cherokee rattles/clatters at idle. The noise goes away above 1200 rpm. It seems to be coming from the back of the engine, but I am not sure. It also rattles for a split second if I goose the throttle from a steady speed, and sometimes if I let off the throttle quickly. Has new timing chain, water pump, and oil pump, all installed since the rattle became an issue. Could this be in the torque converter?
The first thing I would check is the catalytic converter. The structure inside the converter breaks apart and causes the exact rattle you describe and is very common on this vehicle. Most of the time you can simply crawl under and bang on the converter with your fist (when its cold of course) and hear the insides rattling. Let me know what you find. Chris.....