gtnby2, Mechanic
Experience:  A.A.S in Industrial service technology

land rover freelander: I have a similar problem with a 2002

Customer Question

I have a similar problem with a 2002 land rover freeland v6 gas.ok it has been reprogramed on dealer and Indy T4 computer.problem is it is loosing ability to rember the rolling code per the last shop.I asked about transponder at ignition switch but the say Immobliser bad.It turns over no spark when it fails.i just drove it 2.5 hrs 140 miles when it died with switch on no fire but will turn over.reason for dieing was me messing with vac lines.any help would be greatly appreciated.BY PASS IT?
Category: Car
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 4 years ago.
Please only rate answers AFTER finishing our session. Your problem may take a few conversations to pin point, and we can talk until you are satisfied.
Are there any lights on that would indicate it is a security issue and not electrical? Did re flashing the ecm help for any length of time? If you have a spare key, have you tried it? What prompted you to try to force the engine to die via the vacuum lines? I see this seems to be random, how long has this been going on and can you remember what was happening (if anything) when it first happened? Please post back with this information.
Thank you,
Note: If I do not answer to your satisfaction, PLEASE ask more questions or request another expert before rating negatively to keep from paying. Bad ratings may or may not prevent payment as I can dispute them and if found to be correct receive payment. Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had it at Indy shop reprogram ecu w / cranked for several days be fore I came to get it.I was attempting to sea foam engine before shutting off as it may not fire as was the case.I have only one key no key fob.I bought car with issue drove for first time from garage yesterday nice.Just got to get reliability up.No lights

Expert:  gtnby2 replied 4 years ago.
Ok, because this is a random issue, I would suspect either the ignition key transponder or the ignition transponder reader as you mentioned and they are high use items. The dealer you had the vehicle at should have been able to diagnose this with 100% accuracy when it was there. I cannot recommend that you bypass a factory security feature for obvious legal reasons BUT there are units available at most stereo shops that are used for after market remote starters that would accomplish this. If it starts after the install, replacing the key would fix it and you could remove the bypass to restore oem security. Or just have another key made from the dealer so you know it is correct. Test procedures for the security system have to be done by a dealer or a shop with the diagnostic equipment.
Post back with any further questions.
Thank you,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sir thanks ,it will be a few days before i can gather up prescribed parts .i have about 1/2 of supplies eg. directed 556u /remote starter set up.once installed i can give a proper response.thanks and keep fingers crossed.

Expert:  gtnby2 replied 4 years ago.
Yes Sir fingers crossed! Post back when you are ready.
Have a great day,