Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Rutherford GMC 2500HD: 06 GMC 2500 w 6.6 Duramax 135K mi.,

06 GMC 2500 w 6.6 Duramax 135K mi., waterpump is leaking. Does the pump need to be replace or just the o-ring gasket? or should i just replace it because I have it off anyway?
Hi,how are you?The o-ring is normally all that is leaking and replacing just the o-ring would solve the problem.however in my opinion i would suggest replacing the pump while it is off just to save you labor in the long run if it were to go out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How often does the pump go in these vehicles? It looks gear driven and pretty stout ... what is the best after market replacement pump?

The pumps rarely ever fail it's just from a mechanical perspective,not going back with a new gasket/o-ring and old parts but that part is up to the one doing the job.If you did get the pump i would suggest going back with the OEM part.