Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

land rover range rover: I have a 2001 4.0 hse auto range rover

Customer Question

I have a 2001 4.0 hse auto range rover petrol. Cylinder capacit that has been running ok untill yesterday whemi went to drive it I put it in reverse to pull away and it never moved, I tryed to put it in to park and it made a grinding sound. When I put it in drive it never moved!
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Do you have any fault lights on / flashing at all ?

What is its mileage - and service / recent repair history?

Please also give me its full reg number..

Kind Rgds, MIKE....................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
reg is G12aym abs light on tc light on and the ride high indicator panel switch the bottom light is staying on and the second light down that looks like a level is flashing

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Darren..

Have these lights only just come on - with this issue..?

How does the vehicle start ? - any problems there ? ie, slow, sluggish etc ?

Rgds... MIKE.................................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
never been sluggish and bottom level switch light never came on
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again...

Thank you for your reply.

Ok, I mentioned that because on these models - its important / imperative even, that the battery is in tip top / good condition. Any issues, low residual power, charging issues etc will cause these sorts of electronic control / module issues - warning lights etc...

So be sure of that re the battery first - and check the connection to the battery... they must be in perfect condition. If not - re charge the battery -rectify any such issues, and re try it.

If thats all ok - or doing as above doesn't help , then this is an electronic issue that generally will need plug in diagnostic equipment to trace the fault. As you can probably appreciate, these systems are fully electronic and other than the above, there is little you can do on your own without equipment.

One thing you can do if you would like to try this, is a reboot of the systems. This will usually work if its just an electronic glitch, which does happen... To do this I 'll explain - you need to remove the keys from the vehicle. Then disconnect the battery terminals from the battery - and then connect the two terminal / lead ends together - link with a wire.. ensure a good connection -and leave like that for 30 mins.

Then disconnect them - leave off the battery for a further 15 mins - then re connect to the battery and re try the vehicle - NB.. The battery must be fully charged so if its not or you are not sure, re charge it before doing the above.

If its ok now, then it was just a glitch but be aware that a weakening battery or low charge input to the battery can cause this -so it would be a good idea then to have the battery and system checked as soon as you can.

IF the above doesn't cure it for you - then Im afraid you really have no choice , you will have to have the vehicle taken to be connected to a diagnostic machine to trace the cause of your fault.

So work through as above on this now - one way or the other will have this cured / sorted out for you.

By all means get back to me if you need ..

Meantime -- Please click on the OK service ( or higher ) rating for me at this point now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control - Thank you .