George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

Hi! 2007 Saab 9-3 Convert. Battery died. It was put in 2 mos

Hi! 2007 Saab 9-3 Convert. Battery died. It was put in 2 mos ago. Car eats batteries every 2 years or less. When I charged up the battery the radiator fan came on .. on "high" and would not shut off. Car was not "hot" and never runs hot. Got the battery back to 40% strength and got a jump start from tow truck. Car ran perfectly. Brought to mechanic. He says everything checks out fine. Altenator, fan, sensors, battery etc. What do you think happened here? Perhaps the battery dieing tripped the radiator fan sensor and to jumpstart reset it? TY !!!
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

When the battery voltage is low the computers do not have enough voltage to run properly so they go to a default mode. This mode includes running the fan on high to protect the engine as the computer does not know what the temperature is.

There is a body ground under the battery tray that may be loose and causing your battery issues. If you make lots of short trips that will shorten the life of the battery, a battery with as many Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) should be installed. The original spec of 550 CCA is marginal, if you can get a MegaTron from Interstate with 800 CCA then it may solve the problem.

Please let me know how I can help you

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my service not the content as you may not like the answer but it is the truth. Only rate when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to click the lower two ratings they are negative feedback that sticks on my record so please STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek to secure a positive rating.

Please let me know if the rating box is missing or you are unable to rate for any reason

Thank you

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THX! Is there a way to tell if the ground is bad, other than obvious looseness or corrosion? Should I just tell my mechanic to replace the ground so as to eliminate this issue as a potential cause of the battery issue?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

This ground is a stud that it welded to the body just below the battery tray, looseness, burning or corrosion would be what to look for here. It will be obvious if this is a problem.

Is there a possibility that you don't drive the car enough to keep the battery charged? This would be a greater concern than a poor ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the issue is more the stop and go NYC traffic and the parking garages that start the car a dozen times a day. Perhaps that is it. Do you think the ground problem could have discharged a 2 month old OEM battery though?

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Certainly if there is one of the computers not going to sleep it will discharge the battery. If the ground is loose this will happen. I found this on a brand new car once and it showed this same pattern.

If they are starting the car a dozen times a day without driving it the OEM battery is not up to this. A lot of current is used each time the engine is started then you need to run for at least 20 minutes to put all that current back in the battery with the alternator.

I would replace the battery with one of the same physical size and the most CCAs available and while the battery is out check the ground stud under the battery tray for any signs of looseness, corrosion or burning.

Please let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TY George! I will let you know how it turns out!
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Great!, please let me know if you have further questions

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi . After running perfectly for a few months.... Problem is back. BUT we caught it quickly this time. We noticed 10AM Saturday that the radiator fan would not shut off. Its on High all the time, with engine running or off. I put it on charge immediately. i hope to keep the battery alive until Monday AM when the mechanics are open to get it fixed. I suppose its a sensor, relay or fuse or possibly a ground issue? Can u tell me where the fuse and relay is that would conteol this? No info in manual except its (under the hood). Fuses are sooo poorly laid out vs my old 900 and 9000.... LOL. TY!!!!
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, sorry for the delay, I was out with my family.

The radiator fan fuses are #10, #20 and #24 in the diagram of the underhood fuse block.

I hope this reaches you in time

Click here for diagram

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this the fuse box next to the battery? Thts only one i c. It does not look anything like your iagram. Fuses r numbered f1 to f30. There is no fuse in numbers f10 or f20. Thx!,,From looking at the manual and on line souces its one of the Maxis... F27 to F37... I assume one is hi speed fan one is low speed fanPls advise
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes the arrow in the picture points to the fuse block. Use the numbering on the diagram to guide you to the correct fuse for the low and high speed fans, the third number is XXXXX the fan module. YOu may not have a F20 but you should have the F24 and F10.

Let me know if you can find them

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I just replaced every fuse in box. F37was the one tht atopped the hi speed fan.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

The label in the box and the diagram numbering are different.

What position was 37 in compared to the diagram? YOu notice there are only 30 fuses positions shown in the diagram?

Glad you got it stopped, you should check that you can still start the engine as you may have disrupted the immobilizer system.

Let me know how I can help

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont think your diagram is accurate for a 2007 Saab. From what i see on the inet your diagram could be from a 1999 to 2002. The car starts and runs fine. Immobiliser fine. Nav works all electrics work etc. My fuse box has a row of maxis running along the inboard side, a bunch of relays in the middle and outboard, and some little fuses outbaord and middle to the rear. F37 is next to last maxi counting from the back. FUNNY... It was a 20 fuse... I would have thought the fan would be a 40 or 60 esp a high speed fan. That draws JUICE no?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Yes the control module has a fuse that helps it run it's electronics but there are two large amperage fuses for the fan motors.

This is Saabs diagram for a 2007 9-3 but it is not a very good drawing. That is one of the problems when GM took them over but I am glad you got it off until you can have the shop repair it.

Sorry for all the confusion and please let me know if I can be of help

Thanks for letting me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Answer is.... The relay box is bad. Easy and quick fix. YAY! It threw codes and they got captured in the computer this time!
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear you found the problem and for letting me know what you foundThank you
George H., ASE Certified Technician