Daniel, Manager
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician
55987864

Rear liftgate will not open using the switches at all.Any

Customer Question

Rear liftgate will not open using the switches at all.Any help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.

Daniel :

Hello, I'll be helping you with your issue.

This should not be to difficult to figure out, what you need to do first is check your fuses for the lift gate section. If all is good then proceed to check the switch to make sure that they have power with a multimeter or a test light. If you do not have power at the switch then there is a short some where between the fuse block and the switch. If you do have power then replace the switch.

Here are so schematics of the fuses that you need to check and also a step by step procedure on how to check the lift gate.

Full Size Image

Self-Diagnosis Procedures
INPUT SIGNAL CHECK MODE Input signal check mode allows testing of switch input signal to the back door control unit.
To activate input signal check mode on the automatic back door, perform the following steps: 1. Turn ignition switch OFF. 2. Turn back door close switch to CANCEL (system cancelled). 3. Place A/T selector lever in P position. 4. Using the inside emergency release lever, open the back door. 5. Have an assistant press and hold the back door handle switch. 6. While the assistant continues to hold the back door handle switch, turn ignition switch ON (DO NOT start engine). 7. After approximately5 seconds, the back door warning chime will sound for0.5 seconds. 8. Release the back door handle switch. 9. Within 8 seconds of the back door warning chime sounding, press and hold the power liftgate switch. 10. After approximately5 seconds, the back door warning chime will sound for1 second. 11. Release the power liftgate switch. 12. The input signal check mode is now initialized.

The input signal check mode can test the following inputs. The back door warning chime will sound for approximately 0.5 seconds each time a switch signal input occurs. Use this test when one of these inputs is not responding during normal automatic back door operation.
OPERATING CHECK MODE Operating check mode allows self-diagnosis of the automatic back door system.
To activate operating check mode on the automatic back door, perform the following steps: 1. Turn ignition switch OFF. 2. Turn back door close switch to CANCEL (system cancelled). 3. Place A/T selector lever in P position. 4. Using the inside emergency release lever, open the back door. 5. Have an assistant press and hold the back door handle switch. 6. While the assistant continues to hold the back door handle switch, turn ignition switch ON (DO NOT start engine). 7. After approximately5 seconds, the back door warning chime will sound for0.5 seconds. 8. Release the back door handle switch. 9. Within8 seconds of the back door warning chime sounding, press the power liftgate switch 5 times in rapid succession. 10. After approximately5 seconds, the back door warning chime will sound for 1 second. 11. Release the power liftgate switch. 12. Immediately close the back door manually. 13. Press and release the power liftgate switch to activate operating check mode.

Daniel :

I am glad I could help! It has been a pleasure working with you.
Please don't forget to rate my answer so I get credit for assisting you today.
The question WILL NOT close. We will still be able to continue this conversation if you have any further questions after you rate my answer.
Please take a moment to get familiar with our new rating system. This is very important and this affects me greatly. There are 5 ratings that are listed below. Please rate my service as number 5 "Great service" or "Excellent service" for providing you timely accurate information specific to your vehicle or use the reply button to continue the conversation.
1) Bad service--------------Does not pay me, and means you had a negative experience
2) Poor service-------------Does not pay me, and means you had a negative experience
3) Ok service----------------Pays me and means you had an "OK" experience
4) Good Service------------Pays me and means you had a positive experience
5) Excellent service--------Pays me and means you had an Excellent experience
Again, if you have any additional questions, please feel free to reply by using the "CONTINUE THE CONVERSATION" button.
Daniel :

I there anything else that I can help you with?