Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

I have a 1993 Chrysler LeBaron and the Head Gaskets are blown.

Customer Question

I have a 1993 Chrysler LeBaron and the Head Gaskets are blown. Since I do not have the money to fix it I am junking it. Being not a car person as far as knowing about how much I should get I am very likely to sell this way way too cheap.

Now I get that whom ever buy the car from me is going to probably take the good parts off the car and sell them and then sell the rest for scrap.I also understand the parts can take a while to sell. So having said all that how much do you think I should expect to get from selling my car for salvage. I live in Missouri if that makes any difference. I think sometimes I need to hire a man to pretend to be my husband so I dont get taken so much.

So instead of that I have JUST ANSWER. Thanks Terri
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

Selling it to a junkyard or salvage yard you can expect to get $250-$400 for it at the maximum. This is because with a blown headgasket, they cannot sell the cylinder heads or even the engine block because there is no way to know if the heads or the block are cracked without investing money into tearing it down and doing pressure tests, which they wont do with a salvage car.

If you are patient and dont require the money right away, you can sell it privately "AS IS" for parts and you would get a bit more - $500-$800 would be reasonable for it.

You never get as much selling to a salvage yard as you would selling to an individual. IT just depends on how patient you are at sticking a for sale sign on it and waiting for someone interested, as well as your current financial situation on whether you can wait for someone to buy it or if you need it gone now.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE , however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can further help you

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.