transman, automotive instructor
Experience:  28 years exp,complete autmotive diagnostics and repair

My car burns oil. I was told I need a ring job. How much will

Customer Question

My car burns oil. I was told I need a ring job. How much will this cost?
Category: Car
Expert:  transman replied 4 years ago.

transman :

Hi if the engine burns oil all the time cold or hot then yes you will need piston rings.

transman :

a job like this will require the removal of the engine and disasemble the piston rings run for 350$ , a gascket set 375$ oil and fluids 55$ and the labor 14 hours times the labor cost the entire job depending in the labor cost $1,890.00

JACUSTOMER-6fdgmc5g- :

mechanic states my oil sending valve needs to be replaced. It was cleaned out of sludge once before.What is the cost of part and cost of labor?

transman :

the oil sending unit or valve is not going to stop the engine from smoking, are you sure this is what the mechanic referred to?

transman :

if the engine smokes all the time then you need is a ring job, this will cost you approximately with gaskets ring set and labor approximately $1,600.00