Daniel, Manager
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician

Kia Spectra: I have a 2006 Kia Spectra and Im having an intermit

I have a 2006 Kia Spectra and I'm having an intermittent problem while driving the car seems to completely lock up momentarily. Then when I stop and start to go again it feels like it is in 2nd or 3rd gear and will not shift into high gear/overdrive. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes it will go for a week or so with no problem and then it starts acting up again. The jolt is violent that it feels like someone has punched me in the stomach when it happens. I have noticed that there are some other electrical things that are acting wierd, i.e. the airbag sensor in the passenger seat, the radio volume sometimes will go up and down sporadically, and the air conditioner works sometimes, doesn't work other times. Do you think this is a tramsimission problem or an electrical problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, I'll be helping you on this issue that your having.

Do you have a list of codes that the shop pulled from your vehicle?

From what your describing, it sounds like a transmission mechanical problem due to the fact that when your vehicle locks up you are having these shifting problems after. If it where a mechanical problem with the transmission then unfortunately the transmission would need to be most likely rebuilt.

However, I would like to check out some of the codes that have popped up before making that my final answer.

I'll be waiting for your reply. Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I know one of the codes was a solenoid (sp?). I don't know what the other ones were. There was one that had something to do with the fuel system -- maybe a pressure something or another? I can try to get the codes but it might take a day or so.

Also, though, I just wanted to add that there are some wire connections under the glovebox area that sometimes have to be jiggled or tightened to get the air to work consistently. Is there any chance this is related? Because it does seem to run differently depending on if the A/C is on or off. Usually just prior to the problem with the shifting, if I am at a red light and the air is on and the car shakes and makes a lot of noise, then this is usually followed by the locking up problem shortly after I start to go. Again, the car does not always shake and rattle like this every time I'm at a light, but it is almost always followed by the shifting/locking up problem when it does shake.

I've been trying to keep a mental log of when the problem occurs in an attempt to make some sort of rhyme and reason for it.

Anyhow, let me know if you need me to try to get the codes from the transmission shop.

Thank you,

If there is only one code then I don't think it will be needed to go back just to see what it was. It more than likely is a code pass off from what is a much bigger issue.

Yes, the loose wires can be a cause for this and many other problems.

The A/C compressor alone can cause big problems if there is a powertrain problem because the compressor adds load to what ever problem you are having.

If there are loose wires that you can shake to get results then you need to gain access to the wires and locate the source that is shorting out when the wiring is moved. At this point, after the short is fixed then you can find out rather the transmission problem is a mechanical problem or if it was due to the wiring issue.

Another note that I would like to add is that loose wires can cause all sorts of problems and could possibly be the reason a code popped up in the computer.

I am glad I could help! It has been a pleasure working with you.

Please don't forget to rate my answer so I get credit for assisting you today.

The question WILL NOT close. We will still be able to continue this conversation if you have any further questions after you rate my answer.

Please take a moment to get familiar with our new rating system. This is very important and this affects me greatly. There are 5 ratings that are listed below. Please rate my service as number 5 "Great service" or "Excellent service" for providing you timely accurate information specific to your vehicle or use the reply button to continue the conversation.

1) Bad service--------------Does not pay me, and means you had a negative experience

2) Poor service-------------Does not pay me, and means you had a negative experience

3) Ok service----------------Pays me and means you had an "OK" experience

4) Good Service------------Pays me and means you had a positive experience

5) Excellent service--------Pays me and means you had an Excellent experience

Again, if you have any additional questions, please feel free to reply by using the "CONTINUE THE CONVERSATION" button.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay then I'm going to investigate the wiring futher then. Thank you!

Ok, thanks again and let me know if there is anything else i can help you with

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Daniel Scott