Daniel, Manager
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician
55987864

Have 2005 SRX. Cant get liftback latch to release with the

Have 2005 SRX. Can't get liftback latch to release with the handle. Sounds like unlocking solenoid works. I think maybe the cable from the handle to the latch is disconnected or broken. How can i get the liftback to open? The rest of the doors unlock and open.
Category: Car
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'll be helping you with this issue.

This should be fairly easy but will also be a little aggravating as it will require you to climb into the back from one of the front open doors.

The rear hatch panel should be held on by clips so, what you'll need to do is find a small thin object (preferably plastic to not damage the panel) and pry the panel loose from the snaps and hold it in place. After this you should gain access to the inside of the rear hatch and try to find the bar that is either broken or has come loose from the lock it self. You may need a long flat head screw driver to reach in and flip the lock over to "unlock" and then you should be able to open the door from the inside or the outside.

Daniel, Manager
Experience: ASE Certified Technician
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
I am glad I could help! It has been a pleasure working with you.

Please don't forget to rate my answer so I get credit for assisting you today.

The question WILL NOT close. We will still be able to continue this conversation if you have any further questions after you rate my answer.

Please take a moment to get familiar with our new rating system. This is very important and this affects me greatly. There are 5 ratings that are listed below. Please rate my service as number 5 "Great service" or "Excellent service" for providing you timely accurate information specific to your vehicle or use the reply button to continue the conversation.

1) Bad service--------------Does not pay me, and means you had a negative experience

2) Poor service-------------Does not pay me, and means you had a negative experience

3) Ok service----------------Pays me and means you had an "OK" experience

4) Good Service------------Pays me and means you had a positive experience

5) Excellent service--------Pays me and means you had an Excellent experience

Again, if you have any additional questions, please feel free to reply by using the "CONTINUE THE CONVERSATION" button.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Daniel,

I don't know why, but your answer didn't post here until tonight here in the Pacific zone. Anyway, I've been prepared to do the very thing you suggest in your answer, but how do you deal with the single vertical stiffener screw that exists in the hand-grab depression in the bottom of the liner, only accessible once the liftback clears the body by a few inches. In other words, the screw in hidden and inaccesible with the liftback (and liner) in the closed position. I don't think the liner can be removed without damaging the screw mounting until the liftback is at least partially open. Thanks. I realize your reply may be delayed.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

ok, I understand and you are partly correct in assuming that the panel may have to be partially damaged to gain access.

The only other way that I can think you opening that door without any damage is to find a borescope that is long enough to reach in and help you see where the lock is and then have slim-jim or coat hanger and bend it to help you flip the lock.

I have had to do this myself on a car that only had keyless entry because the manual locks were broken and the battery was dead, it took alot of time and patients but it works. Also purchasing a borescope will probably be cheaper than repairing/replacing a damaged door panel.

You can buy them at most of your major automotive parts stores or online(I would recommend ebay to be the cheapest place for this)

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Using a hole-saw, should I cut a hole horizontally through just the liner to the left side, right side, or centered on the latch mechanism? In other words, where is the unlatching cable attachment, or lever, or whatever located exactly on the latch mechanism. I would prefer to cut a minimum size hole that I can cover with a snap in plastic plug or colored duct tape (farmer's modern baling wire; and, yes I'm a farmer). Sorry for the delay. Been harvesting late hay.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Daniel Scott