jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

RA-ARC

Customer Question

need help with 2001 grand cherokee. Heat/AC fan quit working. Blew the 40A fuse under the hood. Replaced it. Checked 3 vacuum hoses and they seem okay.

Category: Car
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

hi, my name is jazzmaster and I will try to help you .

here is a diagram for the heater blower circuit .let me know if this differs with the colors of your wiring ,as sometimes the wiring can be for a 2000 or 2002 as well -chrysler likes to change wiring colors between the different years ..

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

the first thing to look at is make sure all the fuses in these diagrams are good

then go to the source which is the blower motor

disconnect the connector at the blower motor

and turn the key on ,turn the fan on to any speed

check for ground and bat voltage on those two wires

if you have ground and hot then the blower motor is most likely bad

if you have hot but no ground then check the blower motor resister ,this is the ground path for the blower motor .

there may be an issue with the relay as well but lets see if you have both ground and hot to the blower motor first ....jazzmaster ..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

r u there?

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

yes I am

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hello ? I am here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay, i will give this a try. I am not a mechanic. I found the fuse box under the hood, any relays there? This is the basic heating/air system, not the limited version. If i am driving down the hwy, i get heat and air. Just the fan isnt blowing.

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

I would just be concerned for the fuses as of now and follow the diagnostic path I posted

I really dont think that it would be a relay at this point ,you really need to seeif there is power and ground at the connector at the blower motor first /

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, im back workn on this.

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

sorry just got back into town ,so I am here now ..

did you see if you have bat voltage and ground on the 2 wires at the fan ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I dont have the time, patience, or knowledge for this. Appreciate you trying to help me out, but I took it to a mechanic. he did me good, replaced a faulty blower and total cost was only $214. Not bad huh... :)

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
ok, that is why I suggested to check at the blower motor first as this is where the issue usally is ,on these vehicles and always the first place to look ...jazzmaster ...
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
..hi, just checking back ..did my answer help you and were you happy with my help...jazzmaster
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, rechecking back again . did my answer help you in any way ? ///jazzmaster ///
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

all this stuff is really beyond me, i took it to a local mechanic. He repaired it $215. which i thought was very fair. Blower was bad. Thanks for trying. ken

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
ok,thanks