autotech911
autotech911, Technician
Experience:  Over 33 years experience. Have held Master ASE certification in the past and others as well.I am semi-retired
70936738

1995 bmw 530i will not start. Died when coming home one day;

Customer Question

1995 bmw 530i will not start. Died when coming home one day; sputtering like no gas was in it and it wouldn't start back. Changed fuel pump and filter, changed crankshaft sensor, changed relay. Car turns over, but will not start, even with starter fluid. The fuel pump comes on, but after disconnecting the fuel line, i see that no fuel is going to the engine. I don't know what to do.
Submitted: 1 year ago via Mitchell1DIY.
Category: Car
Expert:  autotech911 replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I will try to help you. Are you getting battery voltage to the fuel pump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm assuming that I am since the pump comes on and the battery is full. The return fuel hose also has fuel in it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, we will get back to the voltage later if need be. Where are you checking for fuel flow from pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
disconnected the fuel line on driver's side engine and tried to start the car. nothing came out

What I would like you to do is remove the fuel line at the pump and attach a length of hose to the discharge fitting, then route that hose into a container,ie jar. Remove fuel pump relay and jump connectors 87 and 30 momentarily, this should energize pump. Let me know the results of this test. I you have any other questions just let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This causes fuel to run into the jar. But I already replaced the relay.

Alright, you have fuel filling the jar right? Is the fuel flow coming out with some force or is it a drizzle? If you have fuel flow here and not at the fuel rail ,and have good pressure,you have a blockage/restriction between the pump and fuel rail.

I noticed that you had replaced the relay, jumping the terminals just bypasses it and allows you to check pump operation without turning the engne over.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. The fuel drizzles. Does that mean the pump may still be faulty, and how would I unblock the fuel line?

Are you still checking the flow at the pump or at fuel rail? If the drizzle is at the pump discharge you need to check the voltage to the pump with a voltmeter, you should get battery voltage. Let me know what you get for a reading.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

battery is fully charged...pump voltage is 15...

Ok, If the fuel flow is only a drizzle at the pump discharge I suspect you have a bad fuel pump or a problem with the fuel hose from the pump to the outlet on top of the tank. It may be split or loose, remove the module and inspect closely.

Hopefully you will solve your problem, let me know.

autotech911, Technician
Experience: Over 33 years experience. Have held Master ASE certification in the past and others as well.I am semi-retired
Thank you for the positive feedback. If you need any more help just let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Car still doesn't start. Fuel hoses fine and pump works. Replaced DME module as well. Now SAP making loud noise when trying to start the car, but it still won't start. I even tried flooding procedure for spark plugs. I don't know what to do.

Do you have spark and fuel injector pulse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do, but my spark plugs are wet after every start attempt. They are only a couple of months old but are black. I'm gonna replace them and see what happens.

That would be the best bet,fouled plugs will cause a no start condition.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Same results after plug change. Turns over, but won't start. Starter fluid still won't even help.

Well, if you have spark, fuel and compression I would suspect the catalytic converter is clogged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can it be cleaned without the car being able to start, or does it need to be replaced?

No it can't be cleaned, it would have to be replaced. To test to see if that may be the problem you will have to disconnect the exhaust before the cat and see if it starts. Another way that has worked for me is to remove one spark plug and see if it will start, disconnect coil on that cylinder if you choose this route.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Actually getting piston ring blow by. Passenger side cylinders only getting 50psi. Can the rings be sealed or pistons cleaned, or is replacement something that is economical?