Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

i have 2005 daewoo we have a code p161b. what does the code

i have 2005 daewoo we have a code p161b. what does the code mean and how can i fix it.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. What model Daewoo? Have you replaced any parts yet? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

abao or somthing like that give me some oppstions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no we have not replaced any parts.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
How does it run? Does it seem to have power it should, slip while shifting, not shift into overdrive, ect? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he says it runs rough then has no throttle responce

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
What liter engine? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i do not know what size the engine is.

he looked the code up on line and they said to replace the tps.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Ya, that is a common problem with this code by daewoo didnt even make vehicle past 02 in the US so either vehicle was imported from another country or some information is wrong. In order for me to give a accurate answer I will need the vin number so I can figure out what I'm dealing with otherwise all I can do is guess and give you random testing instructions for this code. Let me know if your able to give me the vin number, would like some random info related to this code, or if you would like me to open question up to other experts. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i ll have to get more info for you, thanks. i ll try to get back to you tomorrow.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, I'll talk to you then. Have a good night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the vin # XXXXX XXXXX the unit is a aveo.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Do you know what year? based in vin it is a 2011? Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

08/05 is build date, VIN IS KL1TD56616B534901. engine is a E-TEC II 16V DUEL OVER HEAD CAM. TIER2, BIN5, LEV2, ULEV2, FAMILY 6GDXR0115EOL. this is the info, thank you

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for update. This code does not usually set alone, it usually sets with code p0404 and/or p2106 and is caused by a failed map sensor. This is somewhat generic code a code alone, you should verify map sensor changes readings with key on engine off and while running, if not replace. If good next thing is to make sure there are no vacuum leaks which you can do by spraying starting fluid around gaskets/hoses while engine is cold to see if idle changes if so look for vacuum leaks in that area. If good next step is to make sure none of the pulleys are turning hard causing excessive load, if good replace the ECM. Here are testing instructions from manual, let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Circuit/System Testing

Important: In extreme cold weather conditions ice
    may form in the vacuum hose to the MAP sensor and may set a DTC. Inspect the MAP
    sensor vacuum hose for ice, or other restrictions.

1. Ignition ON, observe the scan tool MAP sensor data parameter. Start
    the engine, verify the MAP sensor data parameter changes.

2. Verify there is not an engine vacuum leak.
  3. Test for a parasitic load on the following components:

• Generator
    • A/C compressor
    • Transmission

4. If all conditions test normal, replace the ECM
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database