Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

Land Rover Freelander Tdi: Hi there I have a Land Rover

Hi there

I have a Land Rover Freelander TDI 1999. About 3 months ago she started to stutter and lost power - took her to an independent land rover technician. He said it was a problem with the no 1 fuel injector and the airflow meter. Both were replaced at a cost of about R10 000. Two weeks later the same problem - took her back. Technician said that the "new" injector was the problem and it was apparently replaced again. (I never saw the old parts).

Past weekend the same problem again. Started to stutter, then the red engine light on the dash appeared. I stuttered her home, but since she refused to start.

Now I do not trust the technician any more - want to fix it myself. What is your opinion - where should i start?
Ok is it missing spark or fuel when it does not start? Do you know the code for the engine light when this happens?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Probably fuel - does a diesel engine have spark? No code, just a red engine light in the form of an engine

No misread it was a TDI. Will the vehicle start with starting fluid sprayed in the throttle body?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When you spray the starting fluid, it starts until you stop with the spraying - the the engine stops as well.

Ok this is telling you the issue is the injector pump was this checked?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, not that I know of.

OK this is what needs to be checked next for this issue there is no fuel reaching the cylinders .Since it ran with the starting fluid this is the next step for this issue.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help anything lower leaves me negative feedback thanks.