Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

2008 Maseratti: I have a 2008 Maserati gran turismo with 41k

I have a 2008 Maserati gran turismo with 41k miles. I avg about 15-17k miles per year. I am the 2nd owner. Anyhow, recently I started hearing a loud rattle when starting cold, last about 5 seconds.
I researched forums and discovered it was variator issue. I dropped it at dealership and they confirmed the same noise and variators need replacing. I also contacted previous owner and he acknowledged that it has made the noise for a year. Also told me his Quattro and 599 makes the same noise and he just ignore it, cause only last for 5seconds at cold start. He advised not to repair.
I need an expert opinion. Options are:
Purchase a daily run around car and use Maserati as weekend and date car only, which cuts mileage.
Or suck it up and repair it and drive it like I stole it LOL
I need to know if its imperative to repair immediately or can I wait ?
Thks and sorry for long Question.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Hamman :

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed as we go on. Always keep in mind that I am here to help you with any questions.

I was reading some Technical service data on these about a year ago when a customer had a complaint about this noise. What it stated was “THE CAM PHASE VARIATORS MIGHT SOUND NOISY WHEN STARTING COLD ENGINES, OCCASIONALLY OR SPORADICALLY, ON SOME VEHICLES” The cause can be slight wear in the VARIATORS, but the most likely cause is the oil leaking out of the supply passages to the VARIATORS. So a rattle occurs when the engine is started cold. As soon as the oil pressure reaches the VARIATORS, the sound goes away, and all will function as it should. The most important thing is if you decide to run it like it is, do not rev the engine at all until the rattle is gone on a cold start. If you have any more questions, as always, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless I am given 3 - 5 stars/smile faces. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Customer: This is an email from
Customer: Ferarri/ Maserati sent this email: Ein,That noise could possibly be faulty timing variators. If that is the case then that could be a week and a half plus job and cost around $6500.00. Let’s hope that is not it. 
Customer: Per my email is this the problem you addressed?
Dr. Hamman :

Yes, this is the problem I was speaking of. I would try a few frequent oil changes, like 1,000 miles or 1600 Km between changes. Sometimes oil debris can make these sluggish, and the oil changes can flush out sludge/debris and solve the problem. Otherwise if the problem doesn’t get ant worse, odds are the oil is draining back when the engine sits, and it takes it a few seconds to pick oil pressure back up. If you notice any progression of the problem where the sound gets worse, or if it takes longer for the sound to go away, then I would have the variators serviced/replaced without any delay. This is because the problem is progressing if the sound gets worse, or if it takes longer for the sound to go away. If you have any more questions, as always, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: How do we chat?
Dr. Hamman :

This format here is what they call chat. The standard format here is where you ask a question, and replies can take hours to come through. So this chat is a lot faster as a general rule. It is less than ideal sometimes, but we are stuck with the format that the company sets up. Still we can solve a lot of problems this way.

Customer:

oh ok...thks for your time. Are you an expert with Maserati? Not trying to offend

Dr. Hamman :

I understand, I know the engines on them very well, work on them at my shop along with other exotic cars, we even build race engines for them.

Customer:

perfect! I will definitely pay you for your time.In your opinion should I repair it or just follow the protocol of not revving on cold starts?will leaving as is damage the engine or possibly cause other problems? also does the 2 year 37,500mi service need to be done at Maserati or can it be done by independent? thx

Dr. Hamman :

If the independent is an experienced Maserati tech, I would say that would be a good idea. Make sure any repair shop is familiar with Maserati's because they are so different. As far as the colt start noise, if it is stable, it in normally just a nuance as opposed tom a serious problem. But f you notice any progression of the problem where the sound gets worse, or if it takes longer for the sound to go away, then I would have the variators serviced/replaced without any delay. If you have any more questions, as always, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: Thks again
Customer: Lastly, other than this issue.. Is this a daily driver? any other major issues i should keep ear out for? I'm debating on getting an H3 to use as run around.
Dr. Hamman :

No other issues just keep up the scheduled maintenance, and enjoy the power, these are really strong running engines. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience: 30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.