CarQuestionGuy
CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN
8613158

RA - JDD

Customer Question

I have a 1995 suzuki sidekick 4 cyl. 8 valve, 5 spd,XXXXXand it hesitates when speeding up from a stop and the code says a 95 EGR. I've replaced the wires, rotor / cap,
oxygen sensor, heat sensor, water sensor, fuel filter, egr sensor, and hoses. Code still shows 95 EGR. It will hesitate if you don't keep pressure on the pedal, worse in hot weather than cold. hesitates on smooth or rough road, doesn't do it every time from a stop, if driving in 4th or 5th gear, it will always hesitate at some point. it does it slowing down if in 1st or 2nd gear. runs great up hill and doesn't stall. Can you tell me what it might be so I can get it fixed ?
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for asking your question on JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll do my best to answer your question.

Are you sure it is code 50 and not code 51?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

might be, slept since then.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the code is a 95 EGR

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

read over my description again and again.

the code is a 95 not 50 or 51.

what is the problem ?

The codes only go up to 52. There is no code 95.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok... sorry... it says 95 EGR and I've replaced the EGR sensor too.

what else ?

OK. I'm going to opt out to let another expert try to help you.

I'm sorry but there is no code 95 on this vehicle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry just frustrated so if no one wants to help just cancel me off as I sure don't want to pay another $30 for nothing. the code shows EGR and I don't know whether it's gaskets, vacuum hoses, sensors, or something else. I replaced the EGR sensor and it still does it.

There are a lot of experts that would like to help you. There is no way for me to help you. You say you have code 95. There is no code 95 for this vehicle.

How are you checking codes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I took it to a mechanic and he scoped it and told me that.

I've put in $700 in parts myself and it still does it.

I drag raced for 30 years building my own engines and cars so I have ideas on what it might be but nothing I've tried fixes it.

This is how to check the codes...you will need a paperclip to jumper the terminals in the picture then count the flashes. There will be a series of flashes, then a pause then more flashes. Just count each set of flashes in each set. That is the codes you have...Here is the pic of where to put the jumper:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did that and it still show EGR code. I just tried it again and

it said 50

OK. I can work with code 50, that is a valid code. Let me look up some info about it.

The manual is only showing code 51, but it is an egr code so we'll go with that and see what I can find.

Here is a little more info including some testing that you can do to see what is causing the problem:

http://www.justanswer.com/car/4rkwz-suzuki-sidekick-jx-1995-suzuki-sidekick-jx-door.html

Let me know when you get this done and I can help you figure out what else might be going on.
Here is more info that you might need to check. The solenoid is a more common fault than the valve itself:

http://www.justanswer.com/car/2c090-1995-suzuki-sidekick-liter-the-check-engine-light-egr-valve-vacume.html
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so you are thinking it's a bad EGR temp sensor ? even though I replaced it ?

Not necessarily. The link I sent you shows how to test to verify that it is good.

I think you more than likely have a problem with the VSV or maybe the modulator, or even clogged egr ports. I would probably clean the ports first then move on to doing the other tests in the second link that I provided.