Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.

suzuki VERONA: Hello i have a 2004 suzuki verona 2.5 i keep

Customer Question

Hello i have a 2004 suzuki verona 2.5 i keep getting code p0151 p0051 over and over replaced o2 sensor 3 times keeps popping up also i have a bigger issue the car when started warm or cold it will shoot up to 2000 rpm and pretty much stay there some times it will go down to what should be normal and as soon as i hit the gas pedel it goes back up to 2000 rpm i have heard of these cars having a lot of issues like this but no one seems to have figured it out a lot of mabyes but no fix tried looking for vac leaks everything seems ok i replaced the throttle body still does it this car has me going nuts tried all the basics also tried the relern procedure no diffrence any info would be great
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,how are you?The issue that you are having is coming from the mass air flow sensor,the mass air flow sensor will throw the o2 sensors out of sync and will produce the codes that you are getting and will cause the symptoms that you are experiencing.I have had these vehicles in my shop for this issue and the fix is to replace the mass air flow,cleaning it will not help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello i have purchased a new mass air flow sensor and i put it in the only thing is it was listed as the bmw part but it had a note that said it also fits the verona is this true? or is it metered diff for the bmw? when i first put the new one in it ran ok for over an hour idle and driving so i started it up today and same old same old.

thanks in advance

The bmw part will physically fit but it is not metered the same,you need the MAF for the Verona.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So i replaced the maf with one for the verona and it runs better as a whole when i hit the gas pedal it returns to almost normal (MUCH BETTER THAN BEFORE) but within a few nin i got code p0051 and p0151 same as before. Now can you correct me if im wrong bank 2 sensor 1 is the pass side top sensor before the cat?

Yes that is correct,pass side sensor closest to engine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

all the wires look good are you aware of any common issues with this car as far as common bad connections or common break pionts? also now it seems when i hit the gas (after warm up) it will start returning to normal idle then it stops at 2000 then (by its self) goes up to 2300 then starts to drop then goes up again only does this when its warm ????
the weird part is if you put it in drive it will go down to about 500 rpm but the sudden drop does not seem to cause the car to jerk as if you were doing a neutral drop it just drops smoothly and then drives as normal then put it in park and idle goes up ???

this thing is killing me

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

No to my knowledge there are no common wiring issues on this vehicle or bad connection points.Have you checked the intake gaskets for leaks?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yep all seems to be ok were these common for these gaskets and components for leaks?

Yes the gaskets have a habit of leaking and causing the idle issues that you are having and can also make the o2 sensors have insufficient flow.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello so i have replaced the intake gaskets new set of plugs (took a bit to get the gaskets) started the car and it ran ok for a bit and now it started doing the same thing again 2000 rpm to 2300 rmp up and down up and down.

and now i have a bunch of codes

any ideas this car is driving me nuts
any help would be great

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Ok,do you have a dealer near you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not close but not too far. Were there recalls or tsb on this issue?

There is a ECM reprogram update that will apply to your vehicle,it is becoming clear the Ecm is sending false and improper signals to the vehicle that is causing the erratic functions of the vehicle.