Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Geo Tracker: Geo 92 tracker, driving fine, stopped and turned

Geo 92 tracker, driving fine, stopped and turned the car off. returned in 5 minute started the car and got the check engine light and engine has a miss. Also the engine has about 1/2 the regular power.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

the coil and the ignition module is all you replaced?

Customer:

HI

yes that is all

tims auto repair :

lets do something simple here

tims auto repair :

tune it up

tims auto repair :

new plugs,wires rotor and distributer cap

Customer:

That was done a month ago, new plugs wires cap rotor,

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

lets try..replaceing the cap and rotor again

Customer:

Timing belt was replaced 3 monts ago

tims auto repair :

these will burn up rotors

tims auto repair :

does the engine get hot?

Customer:

Is that what cost the engine light to go on. Engie running perfect the in 5 minutes all these issues

tims auto repair :

well

tims auto repair :

the miss fire you have..is what maks the light come on...becuse it is running poorly

Customer:

OK ill look at the cap and rotor,

tims auto repair :

also

tims auto repair :

has the engine ever been really hot?

tims auto repair :

are you there?

Customer:

I just took the cap off

Customer:

It looks very rough for being just replaced lots of white on the terminals and rotor is looking like it is it is ragid

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

lets replace that again

Customer:

The engine was hotter than usual before I shut it down.

tims auto repair :

ok...do you ever need to add coolant?

Customer:

No the coolent is right up and so is the oil no change in levels.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

lets replace the cap and rotor

tims auto repair :

another think that may have happened here,,is the timing belt may have jumped a notch,,,sense we dont know if the mechanic had the tensionor tight on the belt,[this is just a thought]so,,the next thing you may want to do,,is to check the timing

tims auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button, so I can get credit for my work,,the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer:

OK

took it all apart and the time is ok, getting a cap and rotor tomorrow.

ok
let me know what you come up with
thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Your where wrong with the ignition, The issue was the ecu, these models from 89-94 use a capacitor that leaks. The ecu can be rebuilt or exchanged or new one purchased. opposite to what is generally felt these can gradually fail.

hi
yes the computer can fail....thugh from the way yu discribed the way it quit,,it didnt sound as if it was the computer,,,sorry
thanks