Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Suzuki Vitara SV420: I need to replace the catalyst converter

I need to replace the catalyst converter in my Suzuki Vitara 1999 model. I have ordered one on-line and will try to fit myself as I live in a remote area with no access to a mechanic. If I were to drive the vehicle with the new converter approx 80km to the nearest service centre for a tune-up, would I cause damage or destroy the new converter, or do other damage to the computer, transmission etc.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Are you welding it or clamping it? Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I believe it will be bolted on, I won't receive the replacement for about 1 week

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
If its just a bolt on converter there is no special procedure that needs to be done, just bolt on and your good to go. The only way it would be risky is if it was being welded because the amperage from welder can burn out computers. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Dan. I am more concerned about what might happen after the new "Cat" is installed. Did this problem occur in the first place because the vehicle was not tuned up properly, or the wrong fuel being used etc. Does it also mean that the onboard computer may have been effected, and if so will this cause the new "CAT" serious problems such as buying another new one.I guess what I really need to know is......can I install the new "CAT" and drive the vehicle 80km's to the nearest Service Office to have everything checked..... without causing any further damage to any system in the vehicle or most importantly the new "CAT" as their not cheap.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
The on board computer has not been effected but if there is another underlying problem that has not been fixed it will eventually cause new converter to go bad. But 80km is not a long enough drive for converter to be damaged unless vehicle is pouring out fuel which I doubt is the case. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dan,

Could you give me an indication of what the underlying problems could be that I need to ask the mechanic to check when I take it for the service. Should it have a tune-up...check the computer, transmission etc. I will obviously tell them that I have just installed it.

.....

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

If catalytic converter keeps failing or getting clogged it usually is caused by vehicle burning oil or running rich "using too much gas" which can be caused by mass airflow sensor, oxygen sensor, or leaking injector. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks heaps Dan. I may not get the new "CAT" for a week or so, so hopefully if I have any more questions then, I can contact you again. It's pretty difficult for a single female in a remote area...I greatly appreciate your easy explanations...have a great weekend

Kind Regards

Rhonda

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
I am happy I could help Rhonda, if you run into questions make sure to let me know. You can reply to this answer at any time without any additional fee's. Thanks again, have a great weekend and night.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database