iauto8
iauto8, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 year ASE Auto Technician. European import specialist.
70017109

300se: I am testing the coil. the voltage between the battery

I am testing the coil. the voltage between the battery is 12.03 v and the positive side of coil with key on is 11.95 volt the negative side is also 11.95 volt with key on, and with key at off position the positive side of the coil readed 1.56 volt and the negative side is 1.53 volt. can you tell the coil is good by those information and why?
thank you

iauto8 :

Here are the test procedures for the ignition coil. Your test does not corfirm a good or bad coil yet. However you have verified 12v to the coil which is a great starting point. Any other questions let me know. Chris......

iauto8 :

1. Switch the key on. Using a Digital Multimeter (DMM) test for battery voltage (B+) at the ignition coil on both terminals.

2. Crank the engine and check for spark output directly at the coil using a spark tester set to a 25KV gap. If there is no spark, use a conventional test light on coil - (terminal 1) to see if the test light will blink when cranking the engine.

3. If the test light blinks, but there is no spark, or weak spark, replace the coil. If the test light does not blink Key On Engine Cranking (KOEC), located the ignition module on the left fender apron. Disconnect the green coaxial connector for the Crankshaft Position sensor (CKP) from the module. Using the Digital MultiMeter (DMM), check the resistance between the center pin and outer ring of the CKP sensor on the sensor side. It should be approximately 1K ohms. Switch DMM to AC volts, crank the engine. Sensor should produce at least 600 millivolts AC (mV AC). Cranking speed must be at least 220 RPM.

4. Disconnect the large 4-pin round connector on the module on the fender side, and check using the DMM for presence of power at terminal 15 and 16, and continuity to ground on terminal 31.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. Switch the key on. Using a Digital Multimeter (DMM) test for battery voltage (B+) at the ignition coil on both terminals. What is the good ignition coil voltage should read?

2. use a conventional test light on coil - (terminal 1) to see if the test light will blink when cranking the engine. terminal 1 is pos or neg terminal ?and is small or large terminal in size? and where do you connect the other side of the test light, to neg terminal of the bettery or any where on the engin's ground?

3. Disconnect the large 4-pin round connector on the module on the fender side, and check using the DMM for presence of power at terminal 15 and 16, and continuity to ground on terminal 31. can you explain where is the large 4-pin round connector and where is terminal 15,16,and 31. and what is the correct reading for my car.

4. I took out the coil and measure the reading between pos and neg is 02.3 set at the 200 ohm, Between pos and tower is 11.06 set the dial at 20k. is this 0.23 ohm and 11060 ohm.

Thank you

1. Coil b+ should be close to battery voltage. Which you have.
2. Terminal 1 is the negative side of coil and is the smaller terminal. Connect test light clamp to negative battery or a known good engine ground. Either is fine.
3. The 4 pin connector is on the ignition control module (looks like a hard drive for a pc) I will find and post some pics for you.
4. 2.3 ohms on 200 scale is 2.3
11.06 ohms on a 20k scale is 11.06
graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. I see two 8-pin connector in the picture you sent but I do not see the 4-pin round connector.

and can you show me a picture of terminal15,16,and 31 and what are the spc of those terminal should read?

I measured between pos and neg terminal of the coil it readed 2.3 on 200 scale is that mean 0.23 ohm and the measurement between the pos and the coil tower is 11.06 on 20k scale, is that mean11060 ohm.

thank you

It should have read 8 pin connector. On connector A you should have battery voltage on pin 2 and on connector B you should have battery voltage on pin 8. Chris....