Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

ra - es

Customer Question

My '08 Scion Xb 5-speed (55k miles) pops out of 4th and sometimes 3rd gear. Usually happens when trying to maintain steady speed on an uphill but other times as well. Taken to the dealer (still under drivetrain warranty) and left for 3-4 days and of course they can't duplicate problem. Even tried taking tech for ride while I drove & of course it wouldn't do it. It has gotten more frequent since then. I notice if I am anticipating it happening and hold shifter with my hand - not even real hard - it doesn't seem to happen. Tech claim shifting mechanism is connected to gearbox with some kind of electrical solenoid (???). Never heard of this. Anybody have similar issue? Tech bulletins?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswser...

Is this a manual or auto transmission you have ?

Do you get any fault lights up on the dash at all ?

Rgds, MIKE..............................

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No fault lites.

Dealer got no codes from OBD.

And I stated it was a 5-speed - which usually means manual. Also I mentioned holding the shifter during times when I expected to pop out of gear - implying manual gear shifter.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Hello again - thank you for your reply.

There is absolutely no harm in verifying things - Implications are no good to me - I need to have the facts. You know what they say about assumption !

People use different terminology and as justanswer is a worldwide site, we need to ask to be sure of what people might mean... for example, you said - "shifter" -- which tends here to mean an "automatic shift lever"...

5 speed does not mean - usually or otherwise, manual...

So now we have cleared that up - perhaps you can let me know if you still do require my help.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, now that we have cleared up the parameters, are you able to recommend an approach that I might use to technically convince the service people at the dealership that this problem exists and hopefully

have them correct the problem under the drivetrain warranty? Possibly even replace the transmission as it seems as this could be a eventually terminal problem.

By the way, all recommended services have been properly undertaken on this car - which includes a transmission lubricant change at the appropriate miles.

I would like to be able to intelligently advise them on the need to continue to road test the car to duplicate the problem as they seem not convinced of its existance. I would assume since my research on line has found no one who seems to have experienced this malady in this make & model that there must be some sort of abberation that took place in manufacture.

In addition, I'm not able to get a very good explanation from the technician as to how the shifting mechanism works and how it could be the cause of the problem as he theorized but wasn't sure of.

Again the tech claimed shifting mechanism operates the gearbox with some kind of electrical/electronic solenoid (???) plus some sort of cable mechanism connected to the gear shifter lever. I've never heard of this.

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar issue? And if there are any Tech bulletins that address this? I believe this engine/transmission combo (2.4 liter 4-cyl. + 5-speed manual-front wheel drive) is used in a number of other similar year Toyota models - possibly Camry & RAV4.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again Gary,

Thank you for your reply..

Before we progress then - can I just ask you for the cars VIN...

Rgds, MIKE.................................