Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

S-type: I have a 2000 s-type and hear engine knocking and shaking

I have a 2000 s-type and hear engine knocking and shaking what could it be and if it needs a engine would a 3.0 fit if the car has a 4.0 in it currently
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Did you check oil level? Does it still have power it should? How did this start? Add any other info you can think of. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It still has power yes when the car starts that's when it starts the knocking and shaking
Was there anything leading up to this problem? How did oil level look? Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Haven't purchased car yet but owner says its a bearing causing the knocking
How much are they asking for car? How much are you hoping to invest to fix? Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1700....didn't want to put more that 1500 into it

What is your zip code? Would you be installing engine or paying someone to? thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
07501...someone else would install

I dont think its going to happen for under $1500. It is a 12 hour job to replace, most shops charge $80-$100 a hour which is $1000-$1500 for labor and the used engines in your area I see are around $1000. So realisitcally your looking at around $2000-$2500 to have a engine installed. I would honestly just save up a little more and buy one thats already working, this one could end up having new issues you find out about once the new engine is installed then it turns into a money pit. Your probably better off just buying one that works like it should right away. Sorry the answer isnt a little more optimistic, I just do not want you to have any regrets after buying. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.