Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

sidekick: can a faulty fuel pump make the throttle body injection

Customer Question

can a faulty fuel pump make the throttle body injection folld out
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

please explain 'folld out"..does the engine die?

tims auto repair :

tell me allyou can

tims auto repair :

1994 Chrysler Truck Town & Country Van V6-229 3.8L VIN L MFI
Fuel Tank Service and Repair, Procedures: Fuel Tank Removal/Installation Procedure

FUEL TANK REMOVAL/INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

REMOVAL-FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
1. Raise vehicle on hoist.
2. Drain fuel tank. .
3. Remove fuel filler cap before disconnecting any lines.

68_chryfuel-065.png
Full Size Image

Fuel Tank Assembly

4. Remove screws that hold filler tube to inner and outer quarter panel. The fuel pump module electrical connector has a retainer that locks it in place.

96_cr95asvan_14-017a.png
Full Size Image

5. Raise vehicle. Slide fuel pump module electrical connector retainer to the unlock position.

97_cr95asvan_14-017b.png
Full Size Image

6. Depress retaining tab on rear of electrical connector to allow connector latch to clear tab. Pull connector from pump module.
7. Disconnect fuel line quick connect fittings from the tank.
8. Use a transmission jack to support the fuel tank. Remove the bolts from the fuel tank straps.
9. Lower tank slightly. Carefully remove filler tube from tank.
10. Lower the fuel tank. Disconnect pressure relief/rollover valve hose. Remove clamp and remove fuel filler tube vent hose. Remove the fuel tank from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION-FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
1. Position fuel tank on transmission jack. Connect pressure relief/rollover valve hose. Connect fuel filler tube vent hose and replace clamp.
2. Raise tank into position and carefully work filler tube into tank. A light coating of transmission fluid on the tube end may be used to aid assembly.
3. Tighten strap bolts to 54 Nm 40 ft. lbs. torque. Remove transmission jack.

CAUTION: Ensure straps are not twisted or bent before or after tightening strap nuts.

4. Connect fuel pump/level unit electrical connector. Place retainer in locked position.
5. Lubricate the metal tubes on the fuel pump with clean 30 weight engine oil. Install the quick connect fuel fittings.
6. Attach filler tube to filler neck opening in quarter panel. Tighten quarter panel screws to 2 Nm 17 in. lbs. torque. On affected models be sure to install the gasket between the filler tube and the inner quarter panel, before installing the mounting screws.
7. Using a new clamp, install cap on fuel tank drain tube.
8. Fill fuel tank, replace cap, and connect battery ground cable.

CAUTION: When using the ASD Fuel System Test, the ASD relay and fuel pump relay remain energized for 7 minutes or until the test is stopped, or until the ignition switch is turned to the Oft position.

9. . Check for leaks.

tims auto repair :

sorry

tims auto repair :

i i didnt mean to send the info above

tims auto repair :

please explain,,"folld"

Customer:

I meant flooded,cause the car cranks has spark but don't start,also I notice black liquid coming out of the exhaust.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

tell me....how and when did this problem begin

tims auto repair :

are you there?

tims auto repair :

to answer the question

Customer:

It started a while back I would drive to the store about 5 miles away I would go into the store when I came out the car wouldn't start,I would wait about 5 mins then it starts.When it wouldn't start I've check for spark no spark,so I changed out the distributor now I get spark ,when cranking I look into the throttle body I can see a lot of fuel flowing.

tims auto repair :

the fuelpump wouldnt cause this

Customer:

A friend of mine said it could be the computer.

tims auto repair :

possible

tims auto repair :

but

tims auto repair :

you need to remove the distributer cap

tims auto repair :

and make sure the rotor turns with the engine

tims auto repair :

to be sure the timing belt hasnt broke

tims auto repair :

sense you dont have a spark.....

tims auto repair :

this sounds more like a bad ignition module

Customer:

It turns and It's on top dead center

tims auto repair :

the reason it seems to flood,,is because it doesnt have a spak

tims auto repair :

you need to get it to spark

tims auto repair :

replace the ignition module

tims auto repair :

you may also need to replace the plugs now that it has flooded them so bad

Customer:

Where is the ignition module ,I also change the coil.

tims auto repair :

it is on the coil bracket

tims auto repair :

1989 Suzuki Truck Sidekick L4-1590cc 1.6L SOHC 0 TBI 8V
Ignition Control Module Testing and Inspection, Component Tests and General Diagnostics

56_it120011-020.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 20 Igniter Terminal Identification

1. Remove the igniter from ignition coil bracket.
2. Assemble two 1.5 volt batteries (D cell) in series as shown in Fig. 20.
3. Connect the positive lead of the ohmmeter to terminal ``G'' of the igniter, then the negative lead to terminal ``OC.''
4. Connect battery pack to terminal ``G'' and ``IB.''
5. With voltage applied, continuity should exist.
6. Disconnect battery pack, an infinite reading should be obtained.
7. If test results are not as specified, replace the igniter assembly.

tims auto repair :

tims auto repair :

Ignition Coil Locations, Components

32_imp_89_020-1005.png
Full Size Image

Fuel Injection Component Locations

Customer:

Ok I'll let tou know

tims auto repair :

please do

tims auto repair :

thanks

tims auto repair :

Customer:

No I have a lot of spark,rotor is turning ,change the plugs, the problem now is the flooding.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

sense it is still flooding....

tims auto repair :

replace the ect [engine coolant tempeture]sensor.

tims auto repair :

it is posible for you to have a bad fuel pressure regulator

tims auto repair :

On Front Of Throttle Body

tims auto repair :

Customer:

I checked that by taking off the vacuum side to see if there was fuel in it.

Customer:

Is there another way to check it?

tims auto repair :

well..you need to check the fuelpressure...the regulator may be sticking closed,,causing too much fuel pressure,,the best way to check it,,is to check the fuel pressure

tims auto repair :

if it is right

tims auto repair :

and there is no fuel in the vacuumline..

tims auto repair :

then it is ok

tims auto repair :

Fuel Pressure Testing and Inspection, Component Tests and General Diagnostics: Fuel Pressure Test

77_it120028-128.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 128 Releasing Fuel Pressure

1. Release fuel system pressure as follows:
a. Place transmission gear shift lever in Neutral, set parking brake and block drive wheels.
b. Disconnect coupler A from control relay, Fig. 128.
c. Remove fuel filler cap to release fuel tank vapor pressure, then install cap.
d. Start engine and run until it stops from lack of fuel. Crank engine three times for about three seconds each time.

78_it120028-129.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 129 Checking Fuel System Pressure

2. Install fuel pressure gauge to fuel filter inlet union bolt, Fig. 129. Connect coupler A to control relay.
3. Start and run engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.
4. With engine at idle, fuel pressure should read 34.1--39.8 psi.
5. Turn off engine, within one minute fuel pressure should drop to 21.3 psi.
6. If fuel pressure is not as specified, refer to circuit check B-3 for further diagnosis.
7. Release fuel system pressure as outlined in step one.
8. Remove fuel gauge set, then install and torque plug bolt to 7.5 ft.lbs.

tims auto repair :

989 Suzuki Truck Sidekick L4-1590cc 1.6L SOHC 0 TBI 8V
Fuel Pressure Specifications, Pressure, Vacuum and Temperature: Fuel Pressure

Fuel Pressure (KEY ON ENGINE OFF) ................. 240-280 kPa (34.1-39.8 psi)

Fuel Pressure (After 1 minute) ............................ 150 kPa (21.3 psi)

tims auto repair :

Customer:

I'll have to get a fuel pressure tester I'll let you know. Thanks

Customer:

To check the fuel system pressure it says to turn to run the engine ,but the car dosen't start ,Does it mean to turn the key in on position?

tims auto repair :

yes,,turn the key on,,you may need to do it a few times,,sense the engine doent run..and the fuel pump only runs for a few seconds when you first turn the key on

tims auto repair :

thanks

tims auto repair :

Customer:

I tried to listen in the fuel filler tube to listen for the fuel pump according to the manual I should hear the pump about 3 seconds,but I don't hear anything.So I took off the return fuel line after the pressure regulator and turned on the key on then I could hear the fuel pump.

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

but.you need tocheck the pressure

Customer:

Check fuel pressure got good fuel pressure, what's next?

tims auto repair :

ok..if it seems to be flooding on just one cylender,,,you may need to just replace an injector,,,,but,,if it is still flooding on all,,you ecm[computer] may infact be bad and need to be replaced

Customer:

Ok ,I have a throttle body injector there is only one main injector.Should do a diagnostic check on the trottle position sensor also.

tims auto repair :

yes..but it isnt likely that this is a mechanical problem,,,from the way you explain

Customer:

Ok I'll let you know Thanks

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.