Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

sidekick: Got a 89 suzuki sidekick 1.6 it has spark cranks

Got a 89 suzuki sidekick 1.6 it has spark cranks but won't start looked into the trottle body looks like it's flooding out.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Hamman :

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed as we go on. Always keep in mind that I am here to help you with any questions.

Pull the plugs and see if the plugs are wet with fuel. Sometimes plugs will carbon foul, and have a black coating on them, this will prevent the engine from starting many times. As far as flooding, a bad fuel pressure regulator, would be very suspect, so would worn injectors that are not sealing, and letting in too much fuel. The best way to check the pressure regulator is to check the fuel pressure with a gauge. If the diaphragm is blown in the fuel pressure regulator, it will flood real bad. Also a bad vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator will make it flood real bad. Another thing is have you checked the cam timing, it may have jumped. Checking the engine compression is the fastest way to check for cam timing problems, the pressure will be extremely low. If you have any more questions, as always, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless I am given 3 - 5 stars/smile faces. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Customer:

I'am novice mechanic,How do you test the pressure regulator what kind of tool do you need?

Dr. Hamman :

You need a fuel pressure test gauge, it attaches to the fuel line. Then you can pull the vacuum line going to the fuel pressure regulator, and see if fuel is in the vacuum line. If the diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator ruptures, it will suck fuel directly into the engine and flood like crazy. If you have any more questions, as always, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Hamman :

Man, you are not bugging me, this is what I do. The capacitor cant be measured well or evaluated by an ohmmeter. It takes a special capacitance meter, that is unless it is directly shorted. Then it will read close to zero ohms. If you are wondering if the capacitor is bad, I would just replace it. They are cheap, and testers for them are so expensive. They are also universal, if it is an automotive condenser, and it will bolt up, it will work. They are sort of an electrical shock absorber for the points so the points don’t arc. If you totally remove it, the engine should start, but the points will burn up fast, like in 15 minutes of running. Did you check the distributor to see if the rotor was pointing at #1. I have seen the pin shear that holds the gear on the bottom of the distributor on a lot of fords, the distributor will still turn, but it will slip, and that will cause this type of problem. If you have any more questions, as always, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Hamman :

Another post was accidentally attached to my last post to you, sorry for the confusion, please disregard the last post.

Customer:

I have a trottle body injection system,checked fuel pressure, seems good.Took the vacuum line off no fuel in line.ohm out the injector got 1.4ohms.Could it be the injector not sealing?

Dr. Hamman :

Injectors can fail to seal if they are worn out. But the engine should still run if this was the problem. It would run bad, but it should still run. Have you checked the spark plugs to see if they are carbon fouled. This can keep it from starting. So injector can flood the engine if they are not sealing, but normally unless the spark plugs are fouled it will still run. Also as far as the fuel pressure it has to be a very specific pressure, that is why you use a gauge to measure it. If the pressure isn't to specification, it can cause flooding, or a no start condition. Look at the spark plugs it is very important. If they are black, change them and see if it will start.

Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience: 30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.