Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

I have a smart car 2004 model with a grundig radio, no cd player.

Customer Question

I have a smart car 2004 model with a grundig radio, no cd player. The battery was changed and now the radio and clock is not working. I did get the code, but it is now becomming a bit much as the radio stays on SAFE. Can the security system be bypassed and how????
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer...

The radio will display SAFE when an incorrect code has been entered, or a code has been entered incorrectly.

It will come back out of safe mode if you leave power to the radio long enough for it to do that this can take minutes or it can take several hours. Do be aware that if you enter a wrong code again or enter the code incorrectly time increases and in fact if you keep doing it the radio can block out altogether.

As the radio has now come out with safe mode and changed the time now is the time to enter the code.

Given your problems so far – you need to make absolutely sure that the code you have is the correct one of the car before entering it. If there is any doubt you would need to contact your local SMART dealer who will either verify the code will get you the correct one. ( they can also tell you how to enter it if needed)

Incidentally, there is no way of bypassing the security system on this radio I'm afraid.

I hope the above helps you – but by all means do get back to me if you need anything more..

Meantime, please do click on the OK Service rating (or higher) now for me.. Thank you in advance for doing that..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.