proautotech
proautotech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  College Training. Current Lead Tech
67965572

Suburban: Help...I accidentally put in my new battery and hooked

Help...I accidentally put in my new battery and hooked up cables backwards. Oops. Something fried and smoke came out. I know it was dumb... I reattached cables correctly, tried and now I get nothing. It is a 1981 GMC Suburban C2500. How do I begin diagnosing this electrical problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  proautotech replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for trusting us with your problem. I have trained in the automotive field and currently work as a lead technician. I will be helping you today

Can you give me a rough location of the smoke?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

On the wall of the car under the hood there is a block with 2 wires going to it. One of the wires sort of reddish is a single wire from the block then has a splitter and splits to two wires. Between the block and the splitter on the single wire is where the smoke came out.

Yep, You will have to replace the wire.

They do not have a fuse on it in 1981 that I remember.

So that is why it smokes the wire because it cannot stop from a fuse blowing.

The wire will melt inside and will not allow it to start.

If you are to replace the wire it will power up the system once again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When you say replace the wire is it the wire and the splitter also? What would it be called that i can replace it?

Just run 12 gauge stranded wire they sell at napa.

You have to replace every piece of wire that got burnt.

You can put a ohm meter on the wire go back as far as you can and check the other end. It will show resistance which is bad. Replace as needed until all the wires are giving a good reading of 0
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So there are no fuses in the circuit to deal with?

There is one fuse in the box. ACC delay.

But this does not stop it from starting
proautotech, Auto Mechanic
Experience: College Training. Current Lead Tech